23

23 Magic

I relaxed in his arms and let my tears dry. He tucked me under his chin and held me as close as he could get me.

"I'm sorry. So sorry," he whispered and kept rubbing my back.

"I know. It's overwhelming. So very. I'm sorry I flipped out on you." I held tight to his thin waist for as long as I felt I could. We still had to get to our campsite, it was miles away and we only had our feet to carry us. I didn't want to have set our camp in the dark. "We should get going. Avi. I'm sorry I said those things." I slipped a gentle kiss on his cheek then found his lips and kissed him the way that felt right and balanced. His hands became the gentle and soothing extensions of his love as they moved over my back and tenderly cupped my face. Foreheads together, we smiled into each other's eyes.

He took my hand and we continued on down the trail. We began a quiet discussion about the little things that made us both happier. He squeezed my hand a few times along the way. We made good time and reached the campgrounds just an hour before sunset. It was a touch later than I had planned. We made camp and settled in. There were other people at the site just as I predicted it was just a couple of families, camped a good ways away from the campsite I had chosen.

"So this is our last stop then on to civilization?" Avi looked at me over the small fire we built.

"Yes. Two more days out here, then I go to Oregon and set up my new home. I'm kind of excited and kind of really sad."

"Why are you sad?"

"I won't see you again for several weeks and I'll be moving away from my friend. She's been a rock for me, as honest and true as they get. Leaving there feels like leaving home all over again." I looked down at the fire and watched the wood burn. He moved to sit next to me and wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulders.

"But she is going to meet you in LA and you ladies are going to have the time of your lives. She's your friend, your sister. That is never going to change."

I already knew that. She reassured me the same thing when we talked about me moving. It was what happened with him and I that I didn't know about. "And you?" I asked looking into his eyes hoping to find that whatever we found together wasn't going to change.

"I'll be waiting for you in LA. Hopefully, after the tour, you'll still want me and I can come up and see your home, spend some quiet time with you there before I have to return to this crazy and sometimes exhausting life." He leaned in and kissed me gently. He surprised me and caught me completely off guard. I hadn't expected any physical contact from him where people could possibly spy us together and recognize him, let alone a warm and tempting kiss. His hand drifted to my face again. He grazed my ear with his thumb and gave into the quiet moan that escaped him. He was smiling peacefully when he pulled away. "It scares me to feel this way, but I love you. I know myself well enough to know what that feels like. I can only hope that you feel the same. It feels like you do." He smiled a soft and questioning smile.

I spoke before he could start speaking again, "I do. I really do."

He nodded and kissed me again. "Do you want to play? It's getting late." I nodded.

He grabbed our guitars and got situated. We tuned them and started playing. I let him drive the direction we went in. He was easy to follow. He was also easy to lead. We shifted and switched roles and he followed me for a while. We got lost in the music and forgot about any time other than it's measure. As we played some of the kids from the families gathered round. Music draws people. It always does. We shifted gears and started playing some old camp songs in hopes that someone would know them and join us. He started singing. It was quiet at first but built rather quickly. Before we knew it we had a chorus singing with us. People were taking pictures and videos I did my best not to let my nervousness show. We took a small break.