Darts - 3

3 years ago - Jake's POV

These are the best nights. After a long day at work, the whole squad just forgets everything about the day and all party and have a genuine time at Shaw's.
      Rosa and I rode together and the whole way their we were jamming out to the radio. Usually after work is when Rosa is not Rosa, I guess. She's more smiley Rosa.
    We were the last ones to arrive and we got roasted for that. The squad just talks amongst the group but usually not about work.
     Charles and I seemed to be talking for a while, he wouldn't stop taking about his love life which is not going well for him. I sorta feel sorry.
     "Your turn Jake, tell me something about your love life." Charles says. "It's uhh- good?" I say in denial. To be honest, it isn't that great.
      "Cmon Jake, I know who you like! And I need y'all to be an icon! Like now." Charles says extra loud and the girl I do happen to like, looks back at us.
     Amy. I try and play it off and she just looks back to talk to Gina and Rosa. "Charles, you could have been quieter." "Sorry! I just get so hyped up about you and A—" I slap my hand over his mouth. "Shut up!"
      "Jake, it's so obvious! You need to talk to her." I sigh and look down at my drink. "I know, I know, but if I do tell her, and she doesn't have the same feelings, I don't want it to be awkward between us at work. We make a really good team and I don't want to change that!"
     I look over at Amy and then to Charles. "I just don't want to lose what I have with her." Charles slightly smiles, "I totally get that Jakey, but if you don't say something now, she is going to find someone else that actually tells her how they feel."
    I nod and take a big chug of my drink. "Whoa slow down their bud." Charles says and I spit some out and laugh. He laughs too. "Enough with this lovey crap, let's just go play darts," I say. "Finnne! But I'm not going to stop bugging you about it into you get the guts to talk to her about it." I punch him in his arm and we walk to the dart board.

Amy's POV

      "Cmon Jake, I know who you like! And I need y'all to be an icon! Like now." I hear Charles say from the bar. I stop my conversation and look back at him. When Jake looks at me a quickly turn my head back to Rosa and Gina.
     They both smile at me. "Amy, he has to be talking about you!" Gina says and I look down at my drink. "I wish that was true. To be honest, I've liked Jake for a while now, but if I tell him how I feel, it might change things between us and that's the last thing I want." I say
      "Amy if you really feel that way, you need to say something before someone tells him how they feel." Rosa says and I nod. I look over at Jake, he laughs at something Charles says. I smile a bit and tuck my hair behind my ears.
     "Can we just forget about Jake for a while and do something else?" I ask the girls. "Of course! Let's go play some darts!" Gina cheers, Rosa and I lift out drinks in the air.
We walk over to the dart board to see Jake and Charles standing there. I turn to try and walk away but Rosa pulls me back. "Hey Jake! Charles!" Gina says and they turn around.
"Y'all wanna play against us?" Charles asks. I zone out a bit while Jake looks over at me. He slightly smiles and I smile back. "Of course. You are both going down to the hell hole." Rosa says and Jake turns her gaze to her. "We'll see about that."
I end up forgetting about the Jake thing, we end up just having a good time like we have been doing as friends. We end up beating them, which was so fun to experience.
"Y'all suck!" Gina yells in Charles face. We all laugh and end up talking for the next hour. I look down at my watch, 10:30, it reads. I gasp and tell the rest of the squad.
They all look at their phones and agree with me. We are all half drunk so decide to take Uber's home. I say goodbye to everyone and walk out, then Jake walks up behind me.
"Hey, fun night." He says. "Agree!" I say and look over at him. "You were surprisingly good at darts, which I did not expect from Detective Santiago." He looks at me and laughs.
"I surprised my self too." We walk down the sidewalk. "Hey, is that ok if ride we on the same Uber?" Jake asked me. "Uh, Sure. Why not!" I say a little to energetically. He grins and the car pulls up.
    We hop in and another person was already in the car, which made Jake and I sit side to side. During the whole ride to my apartment, our arms are pressed together. My heart flutters a bit when I look over at him.
    The other person gets out the car, but Jake doesn't scoot over. I smile a little, and before I know it, the Uber pulls up to my apartment.
I'm about to say bye to Jake, but then something inside of me just clicks. I was going to tell him, now.
"Hey Jake, would you mind if you came over for a little? I kinda need to um—tell you something." He looks up at me, "Yeah sure, there's something I need to talk to you about anyway so I guess that will be now."
We thank the Uber driver and head up to my apartment building. I unlock the door and he walks in, throwing himself on my couch. "I haven't been over here since thanksgiving!" He says. "Yeah, that was a while ago."
I take off my coat and come sit next to him. We don't sit that close, and for at least a minute we don't say a word. He was the first to speak.
"Amy I need to tell you something."

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long break, I only have one more week of school left so I should start updating more frequently. Also comments below if you think I should do more flashback chapters throughout the book. I have a rough layout of how I want the rest of it to go, and I feel like having a flashback chapter here and there would put it together real well:)