Special: A Dragon's Wings

Start from the beginning

"Really?"

"Not as much as you though," my mother said while giggling.

"Hey! I'm not that rowdy!"

"Sure."

"Humph!"

"Please calm down. I'm sorry for teasing you."

"Fiiine...but tell me about dad!"

"Okay. When your father was little, he enjoyed participating in races. He was very fast..."

"Mwahaha! I'm going to be faster than Dad!"

"Hahaha. Maybe. When your father wanted to race, the other dragons would get angry."

"Why?"

"You and your father are special. You two don't have to deal with bulky wings," mother said while flapping her own wings.

"That's true. Wings look difficult to handle."

"Yes, they get in the way when we want to land or move."

"Dad and I are super cool!"

"Yes, I agree. You two are the coolest!" she said with a genuine smile.

"Yep. But what did Dad do?"

"Your father would challenge the other dragons to races, but they would almost always refuse because they were afraid to lose."

"Cowards!"

"Yes, they were cowards. If they knew you two had royal blo-" my mother stopped herself before she could say more.

"Royal blood?"

"Oopsie! I was supposed to keep that a secret. I promised your father..."

"I'm royalty?!"

"Yes, you are a part of the direct line of the ancient dragons who ruled over the others with absolute authority. These dragons didn't have wings just like you and your father."

"Really?! That's so cool!!!" 

"But keep it a secret, okay? Only a handful of individuals know our secret. The other dragons don't understand how special wingless dragons are-and we need to keep it that way."

"Why?"

"Because if the others found out, it would upset the balance between the dragons."

"Ohh...okay then..."

"Promise me that you will keep it a secret forever."

"I promise, Mom."

"Alright, go to sleep now."

"Goodnight, Mom."

"Goodnight, son."

.

.

If only the others knew who I and father were, maybe nothing would have happened. 

Maybe my cheerful mother wouldn't have committed suicide. Maybe my strong father wouldn't have been killed. Maybe I could have been happy. Maybe I could've had a family...

Morning came, and somehow, I have escaped. Beasts came and attacked the hunters' carriage. They are dead now. 

But I am still alive.