The questions immediately began firing out of Steve's mouth with an edge of venom Sadie had never heard in his voice. But he showed no signs of stopping, walking forward and forward, causing Sitwell to back further and further towards the edge of the roof. When the answers came to nothing though, Steve forced the man so close to the edge that Sadie worried he might drop him prematurely.

The plan had sounded so simple when they were talking about it earlier, but now, seeing these people who she trusted let a man fall nearly forty storeys just to pick him back up again was pretty overwhelming.

She stayed back.

~

Half an hour later, Sadie found herself squashed in the backseat between Natasha and the car door, Sitwell filling the seat beside the red haired agent. It was so cramped, that Sadie had struggled to put on her seatbelt, so she decided to leave it alone. If, God forbid, the car crashed, she didn't think there was enough room for her to move at all. Unconcerned- or rather unknowing- Sam, Nat and Steve discussed their next moves.

"We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly," Steve finally decided, and immediately Sitwell was up in arms.

"What? Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea," the bald man argued and Sadie felt inclined to agree, but there was no time for her to propose an alternate plan, as there was suddenly the sound of glass breaking, and Sitwell was dragged out of the car window and tossed in front of a moving truck.

Then there were bullets raining down through the roof and instinctively, Sadie ducked in her seat. It was a miracle she wasn't hit as Natasha leapt forward between Sam and Steve, and the brakes were pulled, tossing whoever was shooting at them onto the road ahead as they came to a dead stop on the highway.

Sadie peeked up, and Steve immediately yelled at her to stay down, but not before she caught a glimpse of the man who stood in front of the car. He looked a force to be reckoned with- a blinding metal arm, a completely leather suit and guns hanging wherever they possibly could. She tried to find a glimpse of humanity in his face but it was covered by a mask and matte black goggles, making her task impossible. He appeared more machine than man. And he was already preparing to fire again.

"My shield!" Steve called to her reaching his arm back and she immediately turned to retrieve it from the open boot, placing it in his open palm and instantly the shield was up, taking the majority of the bullets from the gunman.

When Sadie turned back again she noticed a black van hurtling towards them, with no sign of stopping. She threw her hands up, attempting to cast a blue forcefield around the car. It shuddered and broke under the weight and speed of the van. The impact flung her forward and she narrowly missed the windscreen, leaving her legs dangling behind her as she tried to reach the back seat to no avail.

"Where's your damn belt?" Sam yelled, but before she could reply, the gunman's metal arm burst through the windscreen, sending shattered glass flying in her face as she covered her eyes, and the steering wheel was snatched right out of Sam's hands. "Shit!"

As Natasha began to shoot at the gunman, Sadie felt the car beginning to swerve, being pulled off the road- but she was still stuck, kicking her legs to try and break free. Childishly, she let out a scream. 

God, she couldn't die here, she couldn't die here. She couldn't leave her mother, all alone in that nursing home without any visitors, she couldn't leave Adrianne and her gorgeous family, the children of which she was godmother to- what was she thinking coming on this insane trip? Why did she ever think she could keep up with these people, and these threats?