Chapter 20: Wounds healed

I run away from all the eyes staring at me. Away from Mark. In my head, the memory stops there, but the movie on the wall keeps going.

Everyone that stared after me before, were now looking at Mark, waiting for his next words. The first to talk is the boy next to him. "Leave the crybaby. She didn't deserve your time or attention anyway. You should rather hang out with us. We'll show you real fun."

"No," the word quietly leaves Marks mouth.

"What?"

"No," he repeats but this time with more confidence. "I would a hundred times rather be in her company than yours."

All the boys look at him, bewildered.

"She's my best friend. The way you threatened to hurt her doesn't work with me anymore. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Our friendship can't break that easily."

"What are you saying? Are you really going out with her?" asks the leader of the boys.

"No, I'm not. With her, there's only friendship alive, not love. Even if I wanted to be with her, she probably didn't give it any thought at all. She sees real friendship in me and if that's what she truly wishes for, then I will happily do that. As long as she's happy." He smiles slightly and then his face falls. "But I probably ruined that friendship. I broke her heart. There's no apology for that."

All of them grow quiet. Mark pushes away their hands around him and runs in the direction I did.

The movie ends. There was complete silence. Sophie is looking at me with sad eyes and I feel something wet on my cheeks.

Memory. The memory I tried so hard to get rid of. To forget and throw it away. But that memory had two sides. One side, I knew way too well, that left a wound on my heart... and one side which was the complete opposite. A side where Mark stood up and defended me while showing his true feelings.

Can I believe this is all real? That this isn't another fantasy in my mind, dreams that show what I really want? Can this wound heal?

"Mia."

I turn towards the voice. Mark...

"I know I ruined everything we had. And only because I fell under the threats of my friends. I didn't want them to hurt you. I was powerless. I thought that was the only way to save you. I was a big scaredy cat. What kind of man can't save his loved one from danger?

I wished you would be happy and I saw this way as the only one to make it happen. But I couldn't have been more wrong. When you stood up, completely full of tears and ran away, I finally realized the big mistake I made. My heart was breaking at your hurt eyes. The eyes that asked me if this is true? If this was all a lie?

When you ran away, I couldn't bear it any longer. You heard what I really thought. And to this day, I wouldn't change a single word. I am sorry for not hugging you and telling you the truth right away. I see now what kind of consequences it brought. I searched for you all those years, hoping that you will someday show up before me. I never forgot about you. I lived my life with regret and never forgave myself."

He smiles sadly.

"When I saw you standing in my office for the first time, so beautiful and covered in the sunshine I thought 'My vision must be playing with me. It's not possible for her to be in front of me.' But you were really there, flesh and blood. And your eyes made me know I am not forgiven. That I never was. This time you showed me how strong you've become and still so vulnerable at the same time. I knew it will never be the way it was before. But I was satisfied just being next to you again, to observe you of how of a good job you did and tried your hardest. I should have been content with that. But my feelings from childhood didn't let me and I wished to get to know you more and more, to come closer to you and show you, just how much I missed you, to tell you I'm sorry for all the pain I caused you. And I realized... no. I already knew it a long time ago, from the moment I first met you. Mia... I love you."

I stop breathing. Am I dreaming? No. Mark is really standing in front of me, telling me he loves me. Mark comes closer and goes down on one knee.

"Mia, I truly love you. I want to stand by your side and show you all the wonderful things, that I wasn't able to before."

He reaches out his hand and looks straight into my eyes. "Will you take my hand and embark on the greatest adventure of your life?"

I can feel the warmth from his eyes hug my body and walk straight into my heart. Can I dare to wake up and not just keep dreaming? The dreams are definitely paradise to me and offer me anything I wish for. But Mark before me is real and is asking me if I want to change those dreams into reality.

My hand slowly moves and places itself on top of his. At the contact, tears start to come out again and I nod, thankful he waited this long for me. "Yes."

Marks eyes widen and then his face transforms into the biggest smile I have seen. He stands up and tightly hugs me.

"Thank you," he whispers, his voice shaking. All the guests around us cheer and start loudly clapping.

"Congratulation," Sophie says to us through the microphone in Georges embrace.

I snuggle against Mark even tighter to make sure he's really there, next to me. That this isn't just a dream. I don't know how long we stand, embracing each other but neither of us wanted to let go. When we finally separate, all the guests are gone and we are left all alone.

I look around. Where are Sophie and George? Did they leave already? On the nearby table, I notice a letter and I take a look at it. This is... Sophie's writing!

Dear Mia and Mark,

thank you for everything. I have never met two souls that are so perfect for each other. I wish you all the good luck and lots of love. You're gonna need it.

Yours,

Sophie

I start crying again. I didn't think there were any tears left. Warm hands snake around my waist and pull me against a hard chest. Mark leans his head on my shoulder and looks at the letter.

"I haven't met a person so happy and kindhearted like Sophie."

I smile and nod. "She's a real angel."

"An angel that brought you to me."

I turn around and look into his eyes. I finally found my fairytale and a prince with it. I'm not afraid anymore. The wound is healed with his help.

"I love you."

The words leave my lips just as quick as they came. Mark looks at me, startled and I suddenly get really embarrassed. My face is drowned in heat. I hang my head and hide my face in his chest. Soft fingers raise my chin and I am captured by his gaze. His eyes are determined and lovingly stare at me. He slowly brings his face closer to mine and I close my eyes. His soft lips melt against mine, causing my knees to buckle. How long did I wait for this moment? The moment to be sure of our love? His kiss deepens and grows more passionate. I feel like the floor underneath me vanishes and before I fall, Mark grabs me around my waist and helps me stand. He never breaks the kiss, like he's been waiting an eternity for this exact moment. Just like me.