Chapter 9: Old friend

"Mia!" she screams and throws herself in my embrace. "What a surprise! What are you doing here?"

Still confused I stare at her and then finally remember.

"Sofia? Are you the Sofia who broke the record for the highest ice cream?"

"Yup, that's me," she happily confirms. 

"I can't believe it. I still remember you as the little girl who always snuck around me and now you're stepping in front of the altar. Time sure flies. How are you?"

"As you can see, ecstatic. George and I have our wedding in two days. I would love to invite you," she replies.

I cringe. Two days? I won't be here anymore. 

I hang my head sadly. "I'd love to Sofia but.. I have to go back today. Besides that, I've got a lot of work to do.."

Sofies face immediately drops. "Can't you somehow talk to your boss? I would be really happy if you came."

My boss? Technically, Mark is currently my boss. But since we had a fight, I can't request something like that from him. 

"No worries. We'll come," Mark answers instead of me and I turn my head towards him, shocked.

"What? But work-"

"We can do the work here. I've brought everything I need with me, so there's no problem."

Sofia happily smiles again. 

"Great! I'll give you the invitations tomorrow."

I look at Mark, still uncertain but then smile.

"Okay. I'm already excited."

That's when a forced cough is heard and we all look at George.

"Honey, you didn't tell me you know them," he says a bit quietly. Sofia smiles sweetly with a "sorry" face.

"I'm sorry, love. I forgot to tell you. Our photographer is my ex classmate from high school and beside him is also my super ex classmate, Mia," she explains and I blush at her words.

"I'm glad I could meet two good friend of my beautiful fiancee," George says and puts an arm around Sofias shoulders. "Are you ready? It's time to depart."

We all nod excited and sit in the boat. Sofia sits beside me and whispers in my ear. 

"So... are you and Mark together now?"

I look at her, flabbergasted. "What?"

"Am I wrong?" she asks, disappointed. "I was sure you'd end up together."

"Me? With him? Are you crazy?"

She looks at me like I've grown two heads. "Why not?"

"Have you forgotten what he did to me?"

"You're still not over that?" she asks, confused. "That was a long time ago. Leave the past and concentrate on the present. You've found each other after all those years. I call that fate."

"And I call that 'God doesn't love me'."

"She sighs, exasperated. "You know, maybe you don't know the full story."

"What else do I have to know, except that he stepped on me?"

"You're too rough on him and yourself. It's good that you show him he didn't act right but don't over exaggerate. In the end, you'll be the one, who loses again."

I smile sadly. "I already did," and look at Mark, who was engaged in a deep conversation with George. I'm denying him entrance to my heart yet he still somehow manages to get in. Just for how long will I be able to handle this?

As if Sofia could read my mind, she gently taps me on my shoulder, optimistic for happy future days.

When we get close to the small island, I hold my breath. It felt like a small piece of land in the middle of a big ocean. On it was proudly standing a beautiful small, yellow church, illuminated by the shining sun. 

Her big, rainbow-ish windows colored the lake with gorgeous colors and somewhere popped out a small fish as if even she was astounded. The boat driver docks near the church and we carefully step out of the boat. 

"It's beautiful," I breathe. 

"Isn't it? I've always wanted to hold my wedding here. A small one with my most important friends and family."

My heart warms up at her words. She's still as nice and good-natured, as I remember.

Most of today I just took in my surroundings and the church started growing more and more affection for her in my heart. Mark in the meantime, was taking care of the angle and light, proposing space and positions, which would make the best effect. After a few tries and opinions, they decide to stop. 

"Good work! Now we just need to do the photoshoot in the evening and we're done," Mark says pleased and puts his camera away. Everyone heaves a tired sigh and Sofia immediately snuggles close to George, who grabs her tightly towards him. I smile gently at them. They are so cute. I wish them all happiness and luck. They're perfect for each other. 

I slowly turn my gaze towards Mark and my heart jumps. He was staring at me with the same look, I had towards Sofia and George. My cheeks turn hot, but I can not avert my gaze. Seconds pass and I tap on my shoulder scares me. 

"Mia, you okay?" Sofia asks and at that moment my heart starts thanking her uncontrollably. I didn't even notice so much time has passed. 

"Yeah, of course. Shall we go?" I reply and quickly glance at Mark. He was talking to George again, not showing anything that happened before. Was it just me?

Sofia calls both of them, that we are departing and wait, till the boat drivers prepares everything. The drive is quieter than before. I can't even look Mark in the eyes.