Chapter 4: Distant Hum

1 month later

Indigo sprinted through the woods panting. She couldn't see Nevada but he was definitely close by. She could hear his heavy feet against the forest floor rushing to catch her.

"Come catch me, you Big Foot!" Indigo yelled laughing before running head first into a tree trunk.

Nevada fell next to her grinning.

She spat a leaf out of her mouth grabbing him by the back of his shirt, "C'mon we better get back or Michonne will feed us to her jawless walkers."

Nevada laughed rolling his eyes, "and armless."

Indigo smiled, it was nice having the sun out again, it wasn't as cold anymore. Nevada always teased her that he was faster and bigger than her but now that her wound didn't hurt as much, she was faster than him, and you're damn right that she reminded him every single time. A quick 'I'm faster then you, Nev...', here and there, he hated it. At least he was still bigger than her on his side.

Indigo couldn't help however, finding herself confused about everything and everyone. Andrea has been bed ridden for months, she looked worse every single day. The antibiotics helped but she really needed a doctor. All Andrea would talk about when she was awake, was a man called Rick, his wife Lori and their son Carl. There were others too, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Daryl, Dale and so on. None of their names rung a bell. She constantly reminded Indigo of the big blank gap in her life. The only man she remembered was called Shane, he scared her...haunted her.

Michonne on the other hand was a big help. She protected everyone, Indigo loved her for it. Michonne was like the mother who keeps everyone in check...just with a katana and two jawless walkers. Indigo ran her finger across her scar beneath her shirt, it was healed now but sometimes she swore she could still feel the pain as if it was a reminder that anything can change in an instant. She all of a sudden for no reason punched Nevada in the arm, he was easy to knock around, she kinda felt bad but than she saw his smug smile and it was worth it.

"OW, INDI, what the hell was that for?!!", The bottom of her shoes met with the crunch, wet, leaves as she ran away giggling like a hyena, "You little brat, I will get you for that!"

The breeze was a blessing especially with a friend. They knocked at each other as they finally reached some abandoned stores.
The two burst through the door walking towards their made up cots. They were next door to Michonne and Andrea when they heard both of them talking. Indigo looked at him and smirked, the two placed their ears against the door. They suddenly heard their steps grow closer, they both dived at their sleeping bags pretending to play chopsticks. The door creaked open but was left open.

"What are you doing out here?" She heard Michonne say in a whisper.

"I needed some light." Andrea responded, her voice was raspy.

There was a brief moment of silence when Indigo heard Michonne place down what sounded like her Katana, "Take this."

The sound of a bottle cap was quietly unscrewed, "How is it out there?"

"It's quiet."

"You're lying."

"We should go in a few days." Michonne's voice sounded tired and worried.

Indigo suddenly stopped listening getting up.

"What is it?" Nevada asked her.

"That humming...can't you hear it?" Indigo whispered stepping towards the light that seeped through the dirty store windows.

Nevada slowed his breathing, listening. She was right, he could hear it. It was getting louder as if it was getting closer. Indigo grabbed her backpack, Bears head sticking out the top. She grabbed Nevada's as well pushing it into his chest. She recognised this hum and it was damn well haunting her. She felt herself freeze up, her eyes watering as her mind flashed between events that happened at a farm, she was starting to remember things and she didn't like it.

~~~~

"B-but it doesn't make it any better." She choked on her tears, "I killed him, Rick. I'm a...murderer."

The two were silent for a brief moment when the all too familiar sound of moans filled the air. Rick let go of her staring into the darkness for what seemed like forever. She warily looked down to her side feeling a sharp pain, fresh blood stained her clothes. Indigo stared in disbelief, Shane must have stabbed her before she even managed to get to him. She wasn't quick enough but there was no time to dwell.

"Rick..."

Indigo turned around staring into the darkness faced with the various silhouettes of death itself. Rick grabbed her arm dragging her towards the direction of Hershel's farm.

"We...we gotta get to the house, tell the others."

"We'll never get through that." Indigo stuttered as Rick eyed every direction.

"Can't go around, either." Rick muttered as he looked back at the dead, "Indi, stay close."

"O-okay, Rick." She held his hand tight as they brushed through the long grass towards the farm where they could see the others turning off the lights. Her other hand covering her wound.

"They can see." Indigo whispered softly, "They see the walkers."

Before they even reached the farm, more monsters came from their left side as they made a sharp turn to the right. Indigo following close behind him.

~~~~

"Rick..." Indigo muttered, the memory of him foggy. She shook herself back to reality exhaling, "We need to go. Right now!"

"Why?! What's wrong!"

Indigo ignored him slamming through the door into the next room. Andrea and Michonne both had a look of terror in their faces.

"They're coming, you should all go." Michonne told them and Indigo shook her head quietly.

"No."

"Who is coming, exactly!" Nevada said in confusion.

"Oh my god, Nev. You're slow!" Indigo grabbed his hand climbing up onto the table near a window, "look!"

He leaned over looking through the window and to his awe the horizon was full of walkers.

"Holy shit."

"I'll hold them back! Go!" Michonne ordered them.

Andrea packed her things into a bag getting up slowly, "I can take care of myself! I saved your ass all winter didn't I?" Andrea coughs, and refuses the water that Michonne is offering. Her face gets angry, hurt even, "I won't have you dying for me! Good soldier won't leave your post. Screw you."

They were all quiet for a moment before Michonne spoke again.

"They don't know we are in here. We'll go in a few days." Michonne mumbled crossing her arms stubbornly, "We'll just wait for them to leave."

Andrea shook her head, "If we stay, I'll die here. We will all die here."

There was silence when Michonne grabbed her Katana once again and both their packs, "Let's go."