Chapter 11

30 July⚪11.56.28

Shane POV

Shane breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't get the spell wrong again. To be fair, it was his first try.

He was inside the old man's mind now, all his memories would be his to view and manipulate. He had asked his raven friend to join along, in case should anything go wrong, he'll have help.

His mind...is a mess, she criticized, and Shane could feel her shaking her head.

Hang on, Shane said, scrolling through the memories and looking for just the right one, just a bit more...

Found it! Shane exclaimed proudly. Okay, so now we just have to-

He was interrupted by a loud scream from behind. Shane spun around to see Hayley, the receptionist open the door and peek inside. She had no doubt seen Shane in his true form, with horns protruding from each side of his head and eyes a complete black.

Her face was drained of any colour, and before either of them could make a move, she collasped onto the floor.

Shane sighed and stopped the spell.

With careful hands, he picked Hayley up from the ground and sat her on the visitor's chair. Shane flicked his wrist, and a magical rope bounded and gagged Hayley to the chair.

"Take care of her, okay?" Shane directed the raven.

She flew to the chair and perched on one of its plastic arms. Yes, sir.

Shane was about to cast the spell again when something struck him. What prompted Hayley to check on them? She wouldn't know, Shane made no sound, no alarming noise. Unless...

She's one of Callie's spies, the raven finished for him.

"If she is, then Callie already knows." Shane followed the thought down its track. "We don't have much time left."

Shane buried the information behind his mind and tried to focus at the task on hand. He had already come so far, it was time to finish the job and get what he wanted.

Taking one last glance at Hayley, Shane couldn't help but he reminded of Callie's last words to him.

He would shatter your heart. You have been warned.

Shane shuddered involuntarily, but continued on nonetheless. R.G. had already broken his bones that fateful night, broke his mind, his soul. How could he still break Shane's heart?

Little did Shane know, he was so, so wrong.

30 July⚪???

Ryan's Memories POV

It happened on a boring summer's night.

Ricky strolled down the alley, his sharp eyes darting back and forth the streets. He wanted to get some fresh air, and here he was, striding under the glow of the dim, midnight moon.

There hasn't been a job for him ever since the last two months, and Ricky was thirsting for a kill.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ricky caught a figure moving in the darkness. Silently, he stood stone still and watched.

There it was again, the disorientation of the inky darkness. A man...no, a teenage boy, about the same age as Ricky was, was walking about the streets. Alone.