Chapter 5

30 July ⚪ 04.15.03

Shane POV

The soothing melody of a violin was picked up by Shane's ears before he had even reached the top of the stairwell. The high yet graceful notes of his favourite score rang a familiar tune as a smile spread across Shane's face in realization.

His 'mother' had known that he would come after all.

Shane gently knocked on the closed door with his knuckles, and with a grin he twisted the door open.

Shane entered a room decorated in a red dotted black wallpaper. His 'mother' sat on her bed, a flowery dress outlining her feminine figure. Her black hair, as dark as her eyes, were splayed on her neck. In her hands were a bow and a silver violin, and she smiled warmly at Shane when he entered.

"Shane," she acknowledged.

"Callie," Shane replied, gently closing the door behind him. The carnation in his hand suddenly felt like a ton of bricks, but Shane willed himself to continue.

"You recognize this song, no?" Callie asked, still playing the notes, "You used to love this."

"I do," Shane said, "And I still love it."

The song was coming to an end, so Shane hummed along and stepped up to Callie, his fingers twisting the carnation. Together, Callie with her violin, Shane with his voice, they finished the song.

Shane stepped forward silently as Callie tucked away the violin, zipping the case shut. Without warning, Shane leaned down, his hand pressing the carnation into Callie's open palm. He whispered, "Happy birthday, mother. You deserve this."

Then, slowly, he affectionately kissed her forehead. It was short yet meaningful like a conversation, transferring every single 'I love you' and ounce of gratitude through.

He could only hope that she had received it.

After the bittersweet moment, they parted, both longing to stay in their pose. Callie twirled the flower with her index and middle finger, and asked, "Shane, you didn't have to do this. And a flower, what for? Nothing grows here."

Shane smiled, "I thought you might want something from above."

She let out a laugh, joy filling the melody of her voice. A smile spread across Callie's face too, and she stood to give Shane a peck on the cheek.

"Where did you get this?" Callie asked, staring at the flower, "It isn't around from where you live. Don't tell me you have started gardening?"

Shane shook his head, "I'm not-- It isn't from around there."

"Where have you been?" Callie pressed.

"I've been..." Shane racked his mind for an answer, trailing off midsentence and hoping that Callie would drop the topic.

"Now I remember!" Callie interrupted him, "This flower is from the, from the--," her lips shaped a frown. With a hushed voice, she questioned, "Why have you been there, Shane?"

Shane could feel his heart drop. Callie had found out that he had been at the site of the R.G. murders, the site where he had what Callie considered a 'traumatic event', and she had warned him many times to never visit it again.

Shane struggled for a reply, "I, I am there with a friend."

"What for?" Callie asked, a gentle hand on his arm.

"It's just this thing," Shane rubbed his sweaty hands nervously, "We investigate like, murder scenes."

"Shane, I thought I told you--"