Chapter 2

17 June ⚬ 10.47.12

Shane POV

Sick was better than dead, he supposed.

Shane twirled around in his office chair, playing with a pencil that happened to be on his desk. He let his mind wander, accomplishing nothing productive so far.

Ryan had called in sick for the fifth day in a row, the desk next to Shane uncomfortably empty. Though he knew that Ryan would probably be back to work soon, Shane felt suffocated without his ghoul-friend by his side, even when nothing much happened.

Shane had texted Ryan consecutive 'Are you okay?'s for as long as he was sick, only to receive no messages. He tried calling to check up on Ryan's condition, still no answer. It was unusual for Ryan to be gone for so long, to Shane it almost felt like he had ceased to exist.

Shane threw the pencil on the table and scooped up his phone. He balanced it in his hand, debating silently. He finally gave in, scrolling down his contacts and dialing a familiar number.

It wouldn't hurt to try again.

17 June ⚬ 10.48.34

Ryan POV

A shrill ringing pierced his ears just as Ryan had almost drifted to sleep. A soft groan escaped for his lips as he reached across to the bed stand for his buzzing phone.

It was not the first time he had been recieving calls, but it was only now when he had bothered enough to answer.

Ryan put the phone near his ear, not bothering to check who had called him. He pulled on his best awake voice, "Hello?"

"Hey, Ry!" The excited reply returned.

"Hey, Shane," Ryan mumbled, less enthusiastic.

"Are you alright? Why weren't you answering any of my calls and texts?"

Ryan ignored the first question, "'Cause I didn't bother."

Shane cheerily ignored his excuse too, "What are you up to these days? Office is really boring without you here."

Ryan rolled onto his side, the bedsheets wrapping around his well-built frame. He gave a grunt of agreement. "Yea it better be."

He could hear Shane laugh on the other end. He couldn't help but break into a smile too. The stabbing pain in his head had subsided, and it was the first time he felt joyful for days.

"You wanna meet up for lunch?" Shane extended an invite to him.

Ryan had barely given it a thought, "Sure."

"At the restaurant at the end of the street?"

Ryan grinned, "As always."

"It settled then. See you there at 12!"

"12 it is," Ryan agreed and hung up. He yawned and stretched, dressed and left the house.

17 June ⚬ 12.01.46

Shane POV

Shane was pleasantly surprised to see Ryan already at the restaurant before the agreed timing. He was looking over the menu, though Shane was pretty sure he was going to order his usual.

Shane pulled up the unoccupied chair and sat down, greeting Ryan. The other man didn't reply.

Shane observed Ryan staring at the menu, his eyes narrowed, as if he was trying to use his super powers to see through the piece of paper. Shane was partly amused and puzzled. Had his friend descended into madness?