Chapter 10

30 July ⚪ 11.42.13

Third Person POV

Hayley quickened her pace towards the counter. Picking up the phone hurriedly, she dialed a memorized number.

She glanced anxiously back to the rooms, but the recent visitor, Mr Green, was still inside.

A click. The person on the other end had picked up. A soothing voice spoke, "Hello?"

"Callie," Hayley breathed, relieved.

"Hayley. Are you alright? You sound out of breath." Callie questioned.

"I'm..." Hayley swatted at the empty air in front of her. "Never mind. That's not important. I have more urgent news to share."

Callie sounded worried, "What is it, dear?"

Hayley shot a glance back to Robert's room. "Did you schedule anyone to check on Robert today?"

"What? No." Callie replied.

"There is this man, he says his name is Mr Green. He just checked in to me and said that he was a friend of Robert's son." Hayley relayed the incident to her.

Callie was quiet on the other end. "Describe him to me." She said.

Hayley was taken aback. "Describe who?"

"The Mr Green you were talking about."

Hayley hesitated. "Erm...he's around his early thirties, tall...brown eyes?"

Callie sighed. "Hayley, you have to do better than that."

Hayley had no reply to give. "Give me a minute, let me go check. I'll call you back, alright?"

"Alright," Callie acknowledged before hanging up.

Minutes passed, and slowly the clock ticked by. Callie sat on her sofa and waited. Waited and waited.

Hayley doesn't call back.

30 July ⚪ ????

Ryan POV

Just when young Ryan, finally settled into his new life and thought everything couldn't get any more bizarre or strange, he found himself welding a knife, its sharp edge pointed at a man's forehead.

For some reason, Ryan wasn't afraid. Blood pumped rapidly through his veins, adrenaline boosting his every move. Something about this situation felt...right.

Ryan shifted his grasp of the blade, lightly brushing his index finger against the sharper side. He glanced at the lady who layed on the floor face-down beside him, blood sluggishly spreading from the wound in her stomach.

She wasn't breathing, at least, not anymore. She was dead, and he knew that.

Ryan turned back to glare at the man, her murderer. He was huge, hulkily-built. His piercing, brown irises stood out in contrast with his brown hair and his lips were twisted in a grimace.

Ryan had accidentally stumbled upon them on his way home from work. The man had been abusing the deceased female that was sprawled out on the floor beside his feet.