Chapter 63: To Trust One's Enemy

Start from the beginning

"I think I understand those markings, now," Bennett says, reaching out and brushing his fingers over Seth's cheek. Over the curling ink that has forever seemed to be a part of him, without explanation.

Seth understands too. The ink in Bennett's hand, it filled his mouth as palpably as the blood did, and it may have affected his appearance as much as anything else.

"Are they all over your body?" Bennett asks wonderingly, and Seth can't tell if he's speaking to him or to himself.

"All over," he answers anyway, before really stopping to consider it.

He watches as Bennett's eyes light up, and that curiosity comes back full force.

"Can I see?"

"No."

The answer is immediate, out his mouth faster than he can think the word.

As if realising he's crossed another line, Bennett draws his hand back, awkwardly hesitating before turning to pace the room.

"Of course, of course," he mutters to himself, scratching his chin. "What am I even thinking."

Seth watches curiously, contemplatively. Bennett doesn't really know how to interact with him, does he? He doesn't know how to treat him. Like a subject, or like a...

Seth hesitates, even in thought. The word "son" still seems like too much, even now. Still, he can see the word in Bennett's eyes now every time he glances to him, pausing in his pacing and his muttering for a second, only to be thrown back into it again as Seth's gaze makes something else occur to him.

The confusion brought on by this revelation is almost ironic. What are they supposed to do now? Catch up and play catch? Is that what father and sons do? Seth wishes Joshua were here so that he could ask. Joshua would know what they should do.

Then again, Joshua would freak out if he knew. No, he'd probably have an aneurysm, is what he'd do. Seth can barely imagine Joshua liking Bennett by any stretch of the imagination—Bennett is touchy and a little monomanic at times, and Seth knows exactly how Joshua is with touchy and a bit obsessive. Undoubtedly, it's the most difficult way to his bittersweet partner's good side, as experience has shown.

Compound that with Bennett being an out-of-the-blue father... Seth's stomach twists at the thought of explaining this to Joshua. Of what this might mean for Joshua. He knows Joshua's own dad has been a deep source of conflict for him; would knowing Seth has one as well—even if it's a strange, frenetic, mad-scientist one—change Joshua's view on their future? Seth doesn't want Bennett to ruin their plans!

This is all if Seth even gets the chance to tell Joshua. His dread sinks further at the thought. He still considers their plans to get the map, to search for his kind, as though they're undoubtedly happening: he can't bear to consider the possibility that they may not anymore. He can't. Just the thought is crushing.

They will get out of here. He knows it. He feels it, deep in his gut. First, they just have to deal with these scientists. Bennett, in particular, for him.

Unhappily, he mules over the whole situation, trying to consider all possible angles. Maybe... maybe they're both wrong, and Bennett isn't really his father-in-science? Maybe this crazy theory is just off-kilter and they've come to conclusions too hastily.

But no... He knows, deep down, they're not wrong. He can feel it, just like he can feel the weight in his heart of missing Joshua and the gravity pulling at his shoelaces. It's undeniable and irrevocable.

He releases a heavy exhale, trying to relieve the heaviness he feels in his chest. It helps, just a little bit.

"What do we do now?" He asks aloud.