Chapter 1: A New Beginning

"Indigo?! Wake up!!!"

"Why isn't she waking up?!"

"We have to go, Rick! They're coming!"

"No..no...she can't be dead. She can't be!"

"She's gone, Rick. She's gone!"

"No...no...NO!"

~~~~~~~~~

A soft breeze brushed through the trees, the leaves rustled quietly. Hazy smoke filled the air, walkers stumbled against fallen fences, some banging against wooden panels which sizzled from the remaining small fires. Another sudden brush of wind caused some branches to fall onto the roof of a stable beside a small lifeless figure who laid in the ruins of the farm. Thick dirt, mud and all sorts of rummage still over her body. Her clothes was drenched with dry blood and her hair tangled with leaves and sticks.

                                                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~

Indigo shot up gasping for air. Her hands clung to her stomach. She exhaled in agony coughing violently. She grunted trying to speak but her throat was dry and raspy. Exhausted and confused, Indigo stumbled up holding her arm against the old wooden stable. Her vision was blurry as she began to move forward falling with each struggling step. Her body felt so heavy. She fell again grunting.

"R-Rick?" She managed to whisper, her stomach was burning as she began to sob, "Please...someone." Her voice cracked. Her fingers clawed at the dirt fighting to get up.

She looked around trying to find something to lean on for support but all she could find was a piece of timber that had fallen from the stables roof. Leaning onto it, she stood up in a hunch. The timber cracked and creaked as it held her weight. Her waist felt like it was on fire. Indigo hobbled over to the stables gate where she remembered last seeing Rick. It was locked and no key to be found. Typical.

"Ri-argh." Another sharp pain cut her off. Her hands shakily lifted her shirt, some of it ripping off from the dry blood in the process. She gasped when she saw the wound, puss covered its surface. It looked infected, maybe even past that. After a couple of minutes, she shook herself back to focus, biting through the pain. She needed to find a way out. Needing to find the group, Indigo stumbled away from the stable gates and towards the wooden workshop where she had woken. She looked around spotting a small opening behind a barrel.

Indigo dropped the timber supporting her weight, throwing her body at the barrel clenching her teeth in pain as she pushed it out of the way with all her might. After a couple of minutes of grunting and struggling, she had moved it. She slowly laid on her stomach, careful to cause anymore damage to her already infected wound. Indi crawled out, commando style towards the opening of the farm. Warily looking around, she placed her bloody hand back on her wound.

"Think...think..." Indigo murmured, "where could they be...the-the herd..."

'The horses are gone, that must mean that they got away..." Indigo thought softly realising now she was completely alone. She didn't blame them for leaving, they thought she was dead. She thought she was dead. Though, apart of her was still angry at them for it, why didn't they just bring her with them. Why didn't they shoot her in the head if they thought she was dead. She had so many questions hinted with a sense of betrayal.