Chap. 1

Chapter 1

2 Years and 11 Months Later

The air was warm with a chilly breeze blowing through. It smelled like fresh cut grass and french fries. And for me, there was no better way to spend my Friday night. I've been doing this for years, every game since kindergarten, only ever missing two. One time when I had the flu, and I don't like to speak about the other time, so I'm not going too. Anyways, Mel and I had just gotten here and I took my usual seat: front right corner. I've been sitting in this spot for 13 years and I never plan on getting a new seat. There's a staircase right next to it that leads right through the fence onto the field. The only other entrance is on the end of the field behind the goal post. So, it has the fastest access to the players and the coaches. Basically, it's the perfect seat for me.

“Do you think they'll win?” Mel asked me pulling me away from my train of thought.

“We've been undefeated all season. I'm gonna go with yes.”

We made small talk for the next couple minutes. That was something I've loved about Mel since she moved here freshman year. She was great at making small talk and always knew how to fill the awkward silence, which if not for her, we would have a lot of. Don't get me wrong, Mel is a great friend and she can be a lot of fun, but she can also be super catty and gossipy and just really annoying. Plus, she's always switching from boyfriend to boyfriend. She never sticks with a guy. Ever. And when she is with a guy you never see her. She spends all her time with him. Except for football games, like tonight. She's dating Scotty Mildro right now, but she told him to find someone else to sit with because she was sitting with me and didn't want me to feel like a third wheel. She does this every friday. I try to talk her out of it, but she never listens to me and it's ended multiple relationships so far. Not that she really cares, she'll just get a new guy before school starts the next week.

“Pop” At the sound of an incoming text, we both pulled out our phones.

“Wasn't me”

“It was me.” Just as I expected it was Xander texting me to get ready. The guys would be out in just a minute. A couple minutes later Shawn, his assistant coaches, and the team made their way on field and to their bench. “I'll be back” I told Mel as I got out of my seat. I walked down the short distance to the bench and ran straight to Xander. We had this tradition, before every game, I gave him a pep talk. It was mostly just a whole bunch of shouting and singing to get him excited for the game. I ran up to him and jumped right on his back. He started running around in circles, and we sang “Hall of Fame” by The Script and Will.I.Am. We've been singing that song for years. I don't know when or how it started, but that didn't matter, I just knew that the tradition would live on right up to the last game of football he ever played.

“JONES! ARE YOU READY?!?” I screamed at him as he stopped running around in circles.

“Girrrrl! I was born ready!” Xander assured me in his sassy girl voice.

“Then go run all of them stingray people to the ground!” I was referring to the opposing team. Their mascot was the stingrays, kinda like from Zoey 101.

“I could like, take away their water.”

“Yea. Do that. Take away their water. Whatever gets you a win. NOW GO KILL EM!!!!”