Chap. 20

(Chapter 20)

“So what was that all about?” I ask Xander as he comes and sits next to me on the bleachers.

I hand him his hot cocoa once he's sitting and he takes a sip. He sighs before saying, “I have no idea what you're talking about.”

“Don't play dumb with me.” I warn.

He stays silent for a while, and then when he does speak, it's barely above a whisper. “Andy.” He sighs again.

“Yes?”

“Does it have to be Lucas?”

“What?” I ask, confused.

“I know you wanted a date, and you want a boyfriend or whatever, just like every other teenage girl I guess, but does it have to be Lucas?”

“What's wrong with Lucas?” I raise my voice as I ask, and I know this is turning into a fight.

“I don't trust him!”

“Oh you don't?” I laugh at his ridiculousness.

“No. I don't.”

“You can't tell me who I can or cannot like, or got to Homecoming with, or even who can or cannot be my boyfriend, that's not your job.”

“I never said it was! I never even said you couldn't! I'm just looking out for you!”

“Why? Why do you even need to do that? I'm fine! I can take care of myself! So why do you feel like you need to?”

“Because! You're my best friend. You're like my little sister, and I love you Ands and I don't want you to get hurt!”

“Well you hating Lucas isn't gonna stop me from getting hurt!”

“I don't hate him, and all I was trying to do was tell you I don't trust him. That's all!”

“Well I like him. And your opinion doesn't even matter.” My words come out much harsher than I mean them too, and as soon as I say it his face drops, I've hurt him.

He takes a minute to process what I just said and calm down, and then he stands up grabbing our cups, “Why don't we just go then?” I just nod and stand up and we both make our way to the parking lot where Asher, and Noah were already waiting in the truck.

We both climbed in, and Xander drove to my house, all of us in complete silence. Noah and Asher must have sensed the tension or something because even they didn't make a sound.

We pulled into my driveway, and the three of us got out, Xander staying in the truck. I guess he's going home. We got into the house, I was surprised to see it was empty, everyone must have gone to bed, so I went straight up to my room, again thankful to see it was empty as well, some cousins left and the others must have spread out, claiming the now empty spots.

I quickly changed into my pajamas and lied down on my bed, replaying the argument over and over again, wondering what's wrong with me. Of course his opinion matters to me, his opinion is more important to me than anyone else.

I stayed like that in silence for about 15 minutes before my phone started ringing. “IF YOU WANNA BE MY LOVER, YOU GOTTA GET WITH MY FRIENDS, MAKE IT LAST FOREVER! FRIENDSHIP NEVER ENDS!” Xander's voice came from my phone, he recently recorded Wannabe by The Spice Girls as my new ringtone. I picked my phone up from my bedstand and saw his face on my screen, I sighed, hoping this fight was over, I feel terrible. I never should have told him his opinion doesn't matter. That's so incredibly untrue.

“Hello?” I said after answering.

“Andy? Hey. My parents are asleep and I forgot my key.”