Chapter IX

Beca's POV

Ever since we had dinner at her parent's place, Chloe hasn't been the same and it's been a week. She's not the Chloe I adore. She's constantly down and she's starting to forget things and get behind at work, which I can't let happen. I've tried talking to her but nothing's changed. I know Chloe loves her dad heaps but how can one person's opinion make her this upset? Who cares if her dad doesn't approve of us? It isn't his life and if he can't accept that Chloe and I are together then that's his problem... but that's my outlook on things. Chloe loves her dad more than I can explain and it's too much for me to try and comprehend. I wasn't happy with how he spoke to me and what he said about me but that's nothing compared to what he did to Chloe. Nobody hurts Chloe and I don't care who they are.

I want to make things right so that's why I'm marching to Chloe's parent's house right now to talk to John. I hate seeing Chloe the way she is and I'm not going to let her go a day longer being upset. John had no right to say what he did so I'm going to make it right one way or another. I reach the front door and ring the doorbell and thankfully, John answers the door.

"Beca?" He frowns.

"Hi, John, can I come in?"

"Ah, sure..." He steps aside, allowing me to enter the house.

I walk down the hall and stand in the main room.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"What you did to your daughter last week was a really shitty thing to do."

"Excuse me?"

"No, I won't excuse you. Chloe was really hurt by what you said about us and you had no right to say those things. You don't know who I am and Chloe's dating life is none of your business."

"She's my daughter. Of course it's my business!"

"To an extent, yes, but you're not in charge of her happiness and believe it or not, Chloe's happy with me. For some reason, Chloe cares about what you think and say and after what you said last week, she's heartbroken."

John looks away from me and he looks rather guilty. "I... I had no idea..."

I want to slander him more but I think he's got the picture.

"Look, John, I honestly don't know what the future holds for Chloe and I but what I do know is that I really like your daughter and I see a future with her. She's changed me so much. I'm not the same person I was before we met. She's made me humble and patient. She's amazing and she means the world to me. I know we haven't been dating long but I truly think Chloe is the one for me. She's beautiful on the inside and out and I honestly can't see myself without her. The funny thing is that I never saw myself with anybody because I was terrified that I'd end up like my mother who was a total basket case but then I met Chloe. She changed my thinking and made me into a different person. I know you and I got off on the wrong foot but I want to start again. I promise to take care of your daughter, John. I promise to look after her and give her everything she needs. Chloe's the best person I've ever met and I'm not going to let anything happen to her."

John looks at me and sighs. "I'm sorry for being hard on you, Beca. Chloe's my little girl and I've spent my whole life protecting her. She's had her heart broken before and I couldn't bear to see her go through that again. So when you came along, I thought you were just using her. That you'd get what you want from her, whatever that may be, then leave and move on like a lot of hot-shot celebrities do. I only want the best for my daughter... surely you can understand that?"

"I do," I nod. "But I promise that I will do everything I can to make her happy and... I know it would mean the world to Chloe if I got your blessing."

I never thought I'd say something like that but I'd do anything for Chloe and if this is what it takes to make her happy, then so be it.

"The fact that you came here to talk to me shows just how brave and strong you are," John tells me. "Which makes you right for my daughter. You have my blessing."

I sigh quietly with relief. "Thank you, John. I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome. Just continue to make my daughter happy, that's all I ask."

"I will. I promise."

He smiles at me genuinely and nods. "Thank you."

~

I get home and I see Chloe sitting on the couch with Billie eating ice cream and watching one of her TV shows. She looks cute in her pyjamas but she still looks upset so I make my way over and pause her show.

"What was that for?" She frowns.

"I went and saw your dad," I say.

"You what?"

"I went and saw your dad. I pulled him up on what he did the other night and, well, to cut a long story short, I got his blessing to be with you."

"His blessing?"

"Yes,"

"Beca," she chuckles. "This isn't the fifties."

"I know but I know how much your dad means to you and I hated seeing you so distraught after what he said. So I went there to sort things out and get a fresh start with him. I knew that was the only way to make you feel better and fix things between me and him and between you and him."

"You... you did that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you, Chlo. You mean the world to me and I promise to do everything I can to look after you and make sure you're happy."

Tears form in her eyes and I hope she doesn't cry and thankfully, she throws herself at me for a hug instead.

"You're amazing," she says.

"Only because you are..."

Chloe squeezes me before pulling back and kissing me. "Do you see a future with me?"

I gaze into her baby blue's and I see us married with kids, living our lives as one, big happy family - something I never thought possible.

"Oh, yeah..." I smile.

Chloe smiles back. "Me, too."

"I can't wait."

Chloe giggles then wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me in for a loving kiss, which I gladly accept. This woman is really something else...