Chapter III

Okay, so my first day didn't go as planned. I did my best to try and get on top of everything but Beca kept throwing things at me. Chloe, do this! Chloe, do that! Chloe, get me another coffee! Hurry up! Has that woman never heard of the words, please and thank you? Obviously not. For the first time, I'm not sure what to make of my new job. I mean, it's exciting that I get to work alongside Beca Mitchell and be a part of her life but on the other hand, she is very demanding and I don't really feel as valued as I thought. Not that I expected to be the apple of Beca's eye but a little appreciation would be nice.

It's been a long and tiresome day and right now I'm out with Aubrey unwinding from my day on my couch with a glass of wine and chocolate, which is exactly what I need right now. We're sharing a blanket together with Billie sleeping between us. Every now and then she'll pop her head up wanting a piece of chocolate. If it wasn't toxic to her I'd give her some but I can't.

"I knew she was a total bitch," Aubrey says when I tell her about my first day.

"Aubrey!"

"What? She is! That doesn't surprise me though, she does strike me as the kind of person who would be arrogant, self-absorbed, vain, and pompous."

"You don't even know her."

"Neither do you but you don't necessarily need to know someone to know who they are."

"Explain."

"Well, just look at Beca. Her face is everywhere and she's got millions upon millions of followers, all of which who love her and think she's great. All of that fame has clearly gone to her head. Beca paints her life to be fantastic and she's done it enough for herself to believe it and get wrapped up in it. Yes, Beca only shows us what she wants us to see but even in that, you can tell what kind of person she is. She needs all of that attention, money, and fame to feel good about herself and when you think of it like that, it's quite sad and you feel sorry for her."

"That's deep, Bree."

"It's true. Just look at all of the other celebrities who are miserable. You can have all of the money and fame in the world and you'll still be miserable. She doesn't have anyone special in her life does she?"

"No," I shake my head. "I don't think she ever has."

"There you go. What does that say about her then?"

"Ah... That she doesn't want to be in a relationship...? That's what she says to people who ask."

"Exactly! That's what she says but it may not be the case."

"I'm not following you, Bree."

"You've just said it yourself - she's arrogant, vain, stubborn, short-tempered, selfish, and a bunch of other things. People don't tolerate that crap and the only reason that people tolerate her behaviour is because she's famous and they suck up to her and give her what she wants. Beca may have been in relationships before and hasn't told anyone, which wouldn't surprise me. If that was the case, they would have broken it off with her because they wouldn't have been able to stand her."

"You really don't like her do you?" I chuckle.

"Not really," she smirks. "I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let her push you around, okay? Just because you're her assistant doesn't mean that she gets to treat you like crap. What's the worst that could happen?"

"She could fire me."

"So? Chloe, as soon as people see that you worked with Beca Mitchell, you'll get a job anywhere. You've got your foot in the door at the moment so all you need to do now is grab hold of it and pull it open all the way. Believe in yourself."

Aubrey's such a good friend. We've been best friends since college and I honestly don't know what I'd do without her.

"Thanks, Bree. I needed that."

"You're welcome. Just because she's famous doesn't mean that she's better than you. From what you've told me and from what I've seen of her myself, she doesn't look like a very happy person despite her projecting herself to be the happiest woman on earth."

"I agree. I've only been doing it for a day so I'll give her another chance tomorrow and see how she goes. Maybe she was testing me or something. I don't know. I don't think Beca is one to trust easily. You should have heard her in one of her meetings today. She questioned everything the guy was saying but to be fair, I probably would, too if I was that famous but maybe not as much as she did."

"Makes sense," she nodded.

"Anyway, enough about me. How are things going with you?"

"Things are going well. Work at the Lodge is steady, which is good."

"How are things with Stacie?"

"Yeah, things are... good."

"That wasn't convincing. Is everything okay?"

Aubrey sighs. "I don't know if I'm reading too much into it or I'm paranoid but she seems distant lately."

"What do you mean?"

"She's just... not the same. She's always busy with something and when I see her she's relatively quiet and she says that she's tired from work. It's really weird. She's not lively anymore and she's not all over me like she used to be either."

"How long's that been happening for?"

"Almost two weeks now."

"Have you asked her?"

"All the time and she always says the same thing. I'm scared that... well... that she's not happy anymore."

"Oh, come on, Bree, you don't really think that do you? You and Stacie are inseparable and you have been ever since college!"

"Maybe that's changed now. Maybe she's realised that she doesn't want to be with me."

"No! Don't say that!"

"I was actually expecting this to happen. I knew Stacie would get bored of me eventually."

"Bree," I take her hand and hold it. "Don't say that. Stacie loves you. Maybe something has happened at work or with her family or friends that she doesn't want you to know."

"That's the thing though, we share everything with each other. We don't have any secrets and I don't see why we ever would. We've been together for years now and nothing has come between us... I'm just scared, Chlo... I love Stacie so much and I thought things were okay."

"I know you're scared but maybe try talking to her again and tell her how you really feel. I know Stacie wouldn't do anything to hurt you or betray you."

"You don't think?"

"Of course not. Stacie loves you and I'm sure she has a good reason for acting the way she is. Just give her a chance."

Aubrey nods at me then smiles. "Thanks, Chlo. You're the best."

I smile back and squeeze her hand. "Any time."