Chapter 30 Supper

I walk to the table where the butler places a plate with food and sit. Anne follows me and sits across from me. Eliza just stands by the door hesitantly.

"Please, join us for supper, Eliza." My mother says.

"Y-yes ma'am." She says walking towards the table.

"What happened to that egotistical personality of yours?" I ask Eliza without looking at her.

She sits next to me, using me to block herself from my parents.

She whispers to me, "You didn't tell me you were nobles. I wouldn't have asked to fight you."

"Good to know. We haven't told anyone other than you. Maybe next time I'll make everyone bow down to me." I reply sarcastically.

Our food is brought to each of us and my father starts a conversation. "How did you meet?"

"Uh, um..." Eliza can't seem to say anything.

I step in, "Eliza, a level 7 adventurer and the former most powerful in that kingdom, decided she was jealous of our popularity so she asked Anne for a battle. Then, Anne told her I was more powerful and she fought me." My father has the ever so slightest emotion of anger appearing on his face and my mother begins to look worried, so I continue, "I won easily, of course. After losing, she began to beg to join our party. I, as the leader of the party, rejected her for her self-centered nature. Anne, on the other hand, decided to have pity on her and told me to let her join, and here we are."

When I finish I take a glance at Eliza. She is shaking and so pale it looks like she is about to die or is already dead. I look at Anne to see her munching on food, not paying any attention to the conversation in front of her. My parents are confused.

"Let me get this straight." My father starts, "You fought my daughters and then became their friend?"

"I wouldn't exactly say friend. We're more...accomplices." I say.

Anne, who has already finished her food, decides to say something, "I think we could be great friends!"

We all wait for Eliza to say something. She is currently still hiding behind me, still pale as a ghost. Using telekinesis, I move her chair, with her on it, to sit her between me and my parents. With that, I start on the food in front of me.

Eliza finally chooses to reply, "I'm sorry for fighting your daughters! I had no idea they were part of a noble family at the time!" She drops her head.

"Eliza, it's alright." Mother says, "You didn't really harm them anyway."

I laugh at that statement and look at Eliza who turns to me as well. We both know she definitely tried to do so.

I turn back to my food to finish. When I look back again, Eliza is done and is trying not to give herself attention while Anne is...staring at her, expressionless. My parents are almost done and are currently speaking to each other.

I call over one of the butlers. "Please have a guest room made for Eliza." The butler nods and leaves the room. "Eliza, please follow him. We will see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight." She says as she stands up to leave.

Anne and I watch her leave. "She is a much different person around people more powerful than her." I say and Anne nods in agreement. "We shall go to our room as well, mother, father, please excuse us."

"Goodnight." My mother says.

I stand up and walk out of the dining room. I look down the hall to the left and see Eliza enter a room that is most likely her room. I turn right towards our room and see Anne following. When we enter, I change to dragon form again and Anne changes into nightclothes. We eventually fall asleep next to each other.

Hours later, I wake up to a strange noise. I lift my head from the bed to take a look around the room. Everything is normal except for the obvious Eliza standing in the middle of the doorway with her hands over her mouth.

"Do you need something?" I ask. She jumps a bit and runs out of the room.

How troublesome. I get up slowly and carefully as to not wake Anne. I glide out of the room and follow Eliza who is sprinting down the hall towards her room. I'm surprised she isn't making any noise.

I follow her to her room and when I enter she is in her covers, trembling. I change into my human form and ask, "What in the world are you doing?"

She stops, and slowly lifts her eyes out of her shield of bed sheets. "Oh, it's you." She says, relieved. She puts the rest of the sheets down.

"What happened?" I ask, faking cluelessness.

"Um...I'm afraid of the dark...yeah." She is being so obvious.

"Oh yeah? I saw you running down the hallway towards this room, away from Anne's."

"No, I was just...trying to find the restroom." She is still lying.

"Tell me really, why did you walk to her room and why did you run away?"

She sighs, "I went because I thought she was alone and I ran away because the...um...that..." She trails off.

"You ran away because, why?"

"Because of...the dragon."

"The dragon that she was sleeping with? What are you afraid of it or something?" I ask.

"Yes."

Wow, hilarious. I let out a giggle.

"Don't laugh at me!"

"Fine, whatever. I'll make sure the dragon won't be there." I turn to leave, "And by the way, she's never alone, I'll easily stop you if you do anything to her." I step outside the room and start to head back.

As I'm going I hear a very quiet voice say, "Okay."