9 | BAD DREAMS

Comincia dall'inizio

After he finished breakfast, he retrieved the animal carriers he'd bought in Breaux Bridge. Once he had the felines in the boxes, he loaded them along with the remaining food and litter, then headed to the shelter.

An hour later, back at home, the first delivery truck arrived followed by carpenters and the plumber. As soon as Roman alerted the concrete company the frame was ready, they'd come.

By noon, evidence of the renovation was everywhere. Pipes protruded from framework and while he waited for the concrete company, Roman constructed the outdoor shower he'd planned. In March, early morning and evening temperatures were still chilly but not so much he couldn't tolerate it.

This way, he wouldn't have to swap rooms with the girl. One worker had commented about the mural and how real it looked. A little too real for Roman. He wasn't sure he'd be able to sleep in a room with Charamel staring at him all night.

At five o'clock, the crew called it a day and so did Roman. His back ached like a son of a bitch, but he didn't care. It felt good to have his mind focused on the future instead of the past. He pulled out the Jack Daniel's along with a glass from the cupboard and headed outside. He held the whiskey up to the light, then filled the tumbler. The bottle was almost empty, so he'd need to make another trip to town.

Since the slab needed to cure for a week before construction resumed, he'd use that time to select the interior furnishings. He'd noticed a sign at the building supply store offering decorating services. Tomorrow, he'd go back and talk to someone about that.

Zoya blew out a breath of relief

Zoya blew out a breath of relief. Lumber piled at the end of the house, but no men were in sight. She got out, walked to the stack and surveyed the changes. According to the new foundation, square footage would double in size. Protruding pipes located the bathroom, and it was a big one with what looked to be a place for a tub and separate shower. Surely they'd finish the project in a month. After that, Roman would have his space and she'd have hers so maybe he wouldn't be so adamant about her leaving.

Inside, she saw him sitting out back, drinking and wondered what he thought about when he was out there. Whatever it was caused him to drink too much. She went to release The Golden Girls, but when she opened the door, they were gone. Had he already let them out? She searched under her bed. With the construction ruckus the pets would have hidden or if a door had been left open, ran away. Then she remembered what Roman had said about getting rid of them.

She flew to the back porch. "Where are the cats?"

He didn't look at her, just spoke over his shoulder. "Gone."

"What do you mean... gone?"

"They're not coming back."

"Did you kill them?" She crossed her arms over her chest, defensive.

That got his attention. He turned to face her. "Are you serious? I took them to the no kill shelter. They'll go to good homes."

"Okay. Dinner will be ready in about an hour."