Part 2 - Chatter 25

The sombre march home was a cavalcade of clandestine regret. It was unnerving wading past body bags and no one had the words to talk, or the stomach to look other than right ahead as they wound through the tunnel. Trudging through the track put at Tottenham Court Road Station, the platform was deathly quiet. They took a breather and from the track-pit, the UV lamps illuminated countless body bags stacked floor to ceiling; thousands of Hack victims lain side-by-side in their lock proof, durable tombs and despite the lamps, they maintained a measured distance. Julian sneezed and Rocket pointed his gun.

"You better not get sick!" the skittish soldier warned. Julian faked a cough.

"I've been inoculated, you moron!"

Rocket relaxed and as they ended their break, a loose body rolled off a pile and splashed in to the stream. They froze to the spot, watching it sail downstream where it would eventually wash into the Thames barrier.

A short time later, a roundral indicated they had arrived at Oxford Circus. Delilah cranked the floodgates and an escalator bank with the metal steps removed greeted them. Taking time to grapple their way up to the next level by using the rubber handrail grips like ropes, they had no sooner reached the summit than they startled a group of homeless urchins who clung together, cowering amongst the plastic crates and flexible roofing sheets of their shanty town.

With a pre-disposition to shoot first and ask questions later, Rocket raised his rifle only to receive a severe dressing down from Flash, whose hands moved a million miles a minute. Flash tried to comfort the children but without a tongue, he needed someone else to do the talking. Alistair stepped forward and attempted to soothe the urchins.

"We mean you no harm. We're just passing through," he assured.

"Please leave us alone," a more mature girl begged, clutching on to two smaller children. A lump formed in Alistair's throat, sensing palpable fear.

"In a moment, we'll be gone," advised Alistair. "If anyone follows, hide."

"And tell 'em we went that way," Rocket signalled, pointing out the other direction. As if to encourage their silence, Flash emptied his and Rocket's webbing, gifting the booty of warmth pads, sachets of Life-Aid, ration bars and water tubes to the apprehensive urchins. Removing his own wristwatch, Julian set the alarm for NYE and delicately strapped it to the eldest girl's wrist.

"When this beeps, please come back up to the surface. I promise, things will be better."

"Why should we believe you?" the girl sighed, examining the watch. "We're safe hiding here." Julian removed his make-up kit from his pocket and plied it in to her hands.

"My dear, after Christmas, no one will need to hide anymore."

The girl smiled, almost dreaming of such a day and Julian's promise set her heart aflutter.