Part 1 - Chatter 9

Alistair shook excess water from his hair and looked like a drowned rat whilst Balderick flapped his wings back and forth to dry himself also. Easing open the front door, he tip-toed over the threshold knowing Delilah would skin him alive for getting himself soaked to the bone. He wanted to sneak down the hall to his bedroom before she could catch him and as he eased the door closed, he held the latch so it didn't click. The living room door was ajar just a sliver, and Alistair could hear muted voices.

"You'll have to confide in him sooner or later," Delilah said as Alistair paused to eavesdrop.

"I cannae do that just yet, Delilah," Archie said softly. "I only ever told Andrew my secret and look what happened to him."

"You can't continue to blame yourself for that."

"I can and I will." There was a moment of silence before Alistair's grandfather continued. "I've had my ear to the ground for a few weeks now. I cannae put my finger on it but there's a whiff of mischief floating about."

"Maybe she's back?" Delilah proposed.

Archie tapped his cigarette. "It cannae be coincidence, is all I will say."

"We need to..." Delilah began then cut herself off. Alistair heard whirring and without warning, Delilah wrenched the parlour door almost off its hinges and like a deer in the headlights, Alistair was stunned. Delilah's eye went red as she scanned him over twice and was in a frightfully defensive mode.

"Alistair!" Archie spluttered, jumping up. "How long have you been standing there?"

"I just got home, I promise," Alistair said edgily. Delilah scanned him and calculated plausible deniability the safest option.

"You're soaking," Delilah moaned, running her fingers through his wet hair. "You'll get a death of cold you silly boy." Placing her hands on his shoulders, she marched him down the hallway to the bathroom. Pulling back the plastic curtain, she spun the hot tap.

"Strip off your clothes this very instant and take a hot shower to put some colour back in your cheeks," she ordered.

"Delilah!" Alistair cried. "I'm not getting naked in front of you."

Delilah crossed her arms.

"There is nothing I have not seen before," she confided.

"Delilah!" Alistair again moaned in embarrassment. She pointed at the shower.

"Get in there and I will give you your privacy," she said. "Get in there and get warm. I shall make you some soup." Delilah stormed out of the bathroom and Alistair could hear her tromping up the hall. He peeled off his wet clothes and jumped in to the warmth of the shower. Delilah was right; it did bring a rosy glow back to his cheeks.

Alistair caught his breath and tried to make sense of the overheard conversation. His pop never mentioned his father by name and he was intrigued. He also guessed Archie had realised he had been snooping through his private bag of belongings and now he would be in big trouble. Alistair got warm and the tap timer clicked, shutting off the hot jet. Dressing, he knew it was going to be on for young and old.