Part 2 - Chatter 9

Alistair was disorientated: the Drill Room was an airy dome where the gleaming walls were silver liquitech, infused with state-of-the-art AI and the floor was semi-translucent, ice-like plastic. Capt Baker and Delilah chatted in confidence, out of earshot and while Alistair looked around the empty environment Balderick swooped over and landed on Alistair's shoulder and he pet the raven.

"What do you reckon?" he asked Balderick and the bird crowed. "Yeah, I thought so," Alistair agreed. "We could have some fun in here." Delilah caught them conspiring.

"We've all agreed that it is imperative your lessons continue," she decreed then pointed out the concealed observation deck. "Capt Baker and I shall monitor your progress and I've suggested that I would like to see it amped up a notch."

"I'm ready," Alistair answered self-assuredly.

"Quite clearly, you are not," Delilah said, deflating his ego. Capt Baker handed him a practice jerkin, covered in integration dots and ran through a brief orientation; it was a lot to take on, but Capt Baker promised Alistair he would find his lessons out of this world. Delilah, not one to promote enthusiasm, took his jacket, again sighed as she saw the Def Leppard T-shirt and made doubly sure the jerkin was worn correctly. Alistair fidgeted and they left him and Balderick in the Drill Room. A moment later, Alistair watched them take their places in the Observation Deck, before the window glazed over, hiding them away.

"Be Prepared," Delilah said over the intercom, jacking in the MES-IP. Switching on the device, the projector sparkled and The Brigadier V2.0 pixelated.

"Ah, Alistair Raven, back for more?" The Brigadier V2.0 grinned, as his image solidified; the trainer smoothed down his bristled moustache and the room faded to black. The simulation began and quite quickly, it became unnervingly real. Over the coming days, the Brigadier V2.0 would be unrelenting and Alistair would be put through his paces. It was a crash course in survival; without it, he had no hope.

**********************

Raising his hand to shield his face, Alistair froze. He was sure he had screamed as an explosion rocked his foundations showering him in debris while Balderick flapped about in distress. A Guard jumped up and open fired with a machine gun and the jerkin sensors lit up like a Christmas tree. Within seconds, the sensorial devices left him convulsing on the floor in simulated agony.

"Fail!" the Brigadier V2.0 bellowed. "Congratulations...you're godfodder! An invoice for the bullets is being sent to your next of kin." As the Drill Room dematerialised, the Brigadier V2.0 marched over and stood over the boy.

"Screaming like a ninny won't win you any battles," he chided.

"Thanks for the support," Alistair mumbled whilst he pushed up on to his knees; he heaved and puffed, sucking oxygen in to his burning lungs and felt every aching muscle.  Once the simulation ended, he took a second to recover. With realistic scenario programming the Drill Room and the Brigadier V2.0 blurred virtual and actual reality.

The viewing window became translucent and Alistair watched Delilah look away in disappointment whilst Capt Baker sat chewing his fingernail; Alistair steadied himself, smelling panic and he realised he was failing miserably.

"Lesson One: BE PREPARED," the Brigadier V2.0 roared, rolling the R's. The tutor concluded Alistair needed sharper reflexes.

"I'm trying," Alistair moaned. "I really am."

"Very bloody trying," The Brigadier V2.0 skewered.

Sweat dripped off the boy's straggly hair; he closed his eyes for a second, pushed his greasy hair back and shook himself.

"More attention must be given to understanding that one will live and die by their actions," he said coldly whilst Alistair snorted, clearing his sinuses; Alistair placed his hands on his hips, nodding his head in agreement.

"Pardon?" The Brigadier V2.0 asked, cupping his hand to his ear.

"Yes sir," Alistair confirmed.

"When you get caught like you just did, I heartily suggest ducking." The Brigadier V2.0 gently tapped on Alistair forehead. "Once you've mastered your defence, then perhaps you can use your brain."

"If you've got one, that is," The Brigadier V2.0 finished. The program recommenced with the Drill Room reconfiguring.

"Now...let's try this again. And this time...don't end up dead!"