Part 1 - Chatter 11

Alistair rose early, dressed quickly and headed up to his workbench to tinker and stay out of the way of his grandfather. Stepping out on the rooftop, it was freezing cold and the rain had been replaced with twirls of snow. His teeth chattered but the first snow gave him a flush of excitement; he pulled down his beanie and tightened up his red and green scarf, then proceeded to scoop up and pack a snowball before tossing it light heartedly at his chum. Balderick squawked in protest, his talons curling up in the cold.

"Cold? It's not that cold! Would you like some anti-freeze?" Alistair joked to his mate, who responded by swooping over to the workbench and puffing up his plumage to keep warm. Alistair rubbed his hands together and slipped on a pair of black woollen fingerless gloves then tugged back the tarp off his workbench. Using his sleeves, he brushed away virginal snow and made himself comfortable, sketching with a HB pencil.

Opening two jars and a large tub, he rummaged, withdrawing the bibs and bobs that suited his needs as well as a curved piece of thick Perspex, left over from a previous failed invention. Alistair positioned it over his chest and stomach, wrapping the plastic with his knuckles, drumming out a rap-a-tap-tap. It was the perfect size and he set himself the task of shaping the edges, the perfect idea ready to be created. That's when Archie cleared his throat and startled him.

"Whoa," Alistair said, spinning around and checking his watch. "I'm not late for breakfast," he confessed as he placed the Perspex board down on the bench. "I haven't done anything, I swear," Alistair pleaded. "And if Delilah has said anything, she's misinformed."

"You're not in trouble Alistair, you just won't be going to school for the remainder of the week. I've got other lessons for you to learn."

Archie handed Alistair a slimline, circular device, the size of a crumpet.

"What's this?"

"Life doesn't come with an instruction book, but a few hints from an expert could help," Archie said, and when Alistair didn't understand, Archie conceded. "I'm not the best person to help you with your problems," he admitted, pointing to the device in Alistair's hands. "But that can."

"What is it?"

"One suggestion: Be prepared."

"Be prepared for what?"

"Everything."

"Everything?"

"You make me sound like a fortune cookie. Oh, and don't make him mad," Archie advised as he shuffled back towards the stairwell.

"Don't make him mad?" Alistair called back. "Who?"

Archie chuckled then closed the door behind him. Turning to Balderick, Alistair posed a question to his friend.