Chapter 6 (edited)

Start from the beginning

“Even so, it would certainly be a sane place too.” grumbled Addy.

At this I wailed and grabbed Addy by the throat and gave her a hug as she struggled to be let free.

“What the hell, Lara? Let go, people are looking!” finally I let go and leaned forward to inflict the same embarrassment on Loraine.

“I miss you guys…” I said, while Loraine struggled and Addy shook her head in disbelief and shame at how on earth she had ended up with such friends. “I miss you guys so much!” I continued on.

“I think Cola gave her sugar rush.” mumbled Addy but Loraine shook her head.

“No, I think it’s her deprivation of human company these past weeks that triggered such radical behavior.”

“I agree.”

While I continued mumbling how much I missed them, my two best friends did nothing but continued eating.

Before I knew it, it was Monday again and the alarm on my bedside table dutifully beeped. I was too sleepy to answer its electronic call, causing it to continue making noise and me to put my head under my pillow and blanket. And like always, right on cue, or rather, the twenty -third beep of my alarm, my mom pounded my bedroom door.

“Lara! Wake up, you’re gonna be late for school.” She said between each thrust of her fist to the door. I moaned, rolled over on my bed with both eye lids still firmly closed.

Then, five minutes later, as always my mom would be in front of my door again, though this time she wasn’t going to bother to knock. She would enter and shake me out of my sleep and into my uniform.

“Why is it that every morning you want to wake up to physical abuse?” asked my mom after she had shaken me to wakefulness. I blinked sleepily and smiled.

“Because I love you, Mom.” I replied, dragging my body to the bathroom. My mom shook her head as she watched me daringly go up to the bathroom with eyes closed only to meet a wall. She giggled while I rubbed my head.

“Ouch! Yeah, that sure woke me up... Stupid wall.” 

Breakfast was a normal ordeal with my mom who was often already out of the door when I was out of the bathroom. She worked two jobs to support me and I never really remembered my dad, he died when I was a toddler. But today, my mom hung out and ate breakfast with me.

“Aren’t you gonna be late for work?” I asked, watching her pour tea into her cup.

“I can afford to be late for once.” She answered and I nodded. It made sense, after all, I never remembered mom to be late to work once. She was real particular about time. I waved goodbye to her after breakfast and headed out to school.

“You look flushed.” Suddenly Alex noted, as soon as I sat down in my seat in class.