Chapter 13 - The Fall

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as Collin and Scarlett dived into the army of endermen, slicing anything that came towards them. While Scarlett was lighting mobs up with her enchanted sword, she used her magical rod of fire to cast flying fireballs at them with her other arm. Collin continued to hack and slash at the endless waves of dark, slender creatures and after a few more minutes of constantly swinging his sword, sweat began to roll down his red cheeks and his breathing quickened.

Immediately, Herobrine reappeared from the crowd and charged at Collin with lightning speed. Before he could react, Collin felt pain explode from his chest as he was knocked through the air. He was soaring through the air and he finally realised that Herobrine's blade must have had some sort of knockback enchantment. He landed on the ground with a thud but was glad that he was wearing sturdy diamond armour.

Even though his body throbbed with pain, he stood back up and saw from a distance that Scarlett was doing a good job at killing the endermen with fire. He admired the determined look on her face as she fought back her enemies with her red hair flying wildly. Unfortunately, Herobrine had suddenly sneaked up behind Scarlett with his blade drawn and by the time Collin had yelled out to warn her, it was too late.

Scarlett let out a stifled scream as she felt something sharp from behind rip through her stomach. "No! Scarlett!" Collin yelped as he came running towards his friend, who had now collapsed to the floor with the blade still sticking out of her. As he approached Herobrine, the white-eyed figure grinned wickedly and took back his weapon from Scarlett's lifeless body.

Furious, he let his anger take over his body and his mind, causing him to rush towards Herobrine with his sword drawn. "Leave her alone!" he shouted in a rage as he brought his sword down on Herobrine's head. Alas, the urban legend dodged the blow easily and landed a swift kick at Collin's chest, which knocked him over once again.

The diamond-armoured boy was now on his back, but raised his sword in a defensive position, only to get it knocked away from one of Herobrine's quick slashes. Now that he was defenceless, Herobrine raised his sword with the sharp point aiming downwards. But before he could kill Collin, an arrow whizzed through the air and struck Herobrine's right leg.

Before he could turn around to see who had dared to shoot an arrow at him, the golden knight slashed at Herobrine's head with great force, causing him to disappear in a burst of light again. Greg kneeled next to Collin and offered him a helping hand.

Even though he was still a bit shocked, Collin took his hand and was helped back up to his feet. Sam had also walked towards the two of them with his bow slung over his shoulders. "Thanks guys, if it weren't for the both of you, I would've di-."

"You're welcome, but we still have a powerful Enderdragon to deal with and a smaller army of endermen, thanks to your girlfriend's combat skills," Greg interrupted with a cheeky grin.

Collin felt his face redden immediately. "She's not my girlfriend." However, Sam and Greg cracked up laughing at seeing their friend blush. "Never mind, let's just finish this quickly. If you two can hold off the Enderdragon and destroy the last of the ender crystals, I will go and help Scarlett and see if she's okay." Not wanting to wait to hear their responses, he sprinted towards Scarlett, who was still lying on the ground with her eyes closed.

"Scarlett! Please say something!" He knelt down beside her and noticed the hole in her body and the blood that had pooled around her. Her eyes were closed shut but Collin knew she was still alive when he checked her pulse. He frantically searched the contents of her bag and found one remaining potion of regeneration. He expeditiously brought the vial up to the nether knight's bright red lips and made her drink the magical liquid.

Instantly, he could see the effects at work when the wound started to heal itself and he let out a sigh of relief. Scarlett coughed before opening her eyes to stare into the eyes of the boy who had saved her. "Thanks," she whispered with a smile that made Collin feel giddy.

"Hey, love birds! We could use some help over here," Greg yelled from about thirteen blocks away as he continued to throw snowballs towards the flying terror with Sam. The two of them blushed but got up and ran towards their friends nevertheless.

Straight away, the four of them stood side by side as they fought like a team. Scarlett used her rod of fire to launch fireballs at the approaching endermen, Collin gathered snowballs created by snow golems as ammunition so that he and Greg could toss them in the air, and Sam proceeded with trying to snipe the dragon down with his bow.

It wasn't long before the endermen army had been defeated and the Enderdragon now had about a tenth of its health. They didn't have time to celebrate though, for the boss was now enraged and opened its huge mouth, letting out a mighty roar as well as a barrage of multiple fireballs. The archer and golden knight tried their best to dodge the incoming flames. Unfortunately, they weren't fast enough and the two of them soon got hit. Sam was sent sprawling over the edge of the end stone world and fell into the void while Greg burnt to death.

Collin, however, froze in shock and did not move. Instead, he stared into the fire of one of the approaching fireballs with eyes wide open. "Collin!" Scarlett yelled as she pushed him aside and took the hit. Much to his disbelief, he watched as Scarlett was knocked backwards and even though she wasn't burning, four endermen had spawned and teleported around her in order to finish her off.

Anyhow, the mighty dragon was not satisfied yet, and dived towards its final target with immense speed as a final attack. Knowing there was no escaping this, Collin remembered his fallen friends who had helped him ever since he had met them in this blocky world and brought out his diamond sword. "Give me your best shot," he said courageously at the advancing Enderdragon.

As the flying beast drew near, he gripped the sword with both hands and raised it until it was above his head, with the sharp point facing towards the dark sky. Even then, it continued to swoop down at an even faster rate and it opened its mouth to show its large set of teeth. Collin tried his best to not get intimidated and stared into the dragon's big, purple eyes. At the very last second, he used all of his strength and swung downwards, which brought a fatal blow in between the dragon's eyes.

Much to his horror, the dragon smashed him as it fell and when they made contact, pain erupted all around him as he felt a massive weight crush him. Everything went dark and he closed his eyes, afraid of what would happen next.

* * *

Everything around him was silent, he dared to open his eyes and found himself in a totally different place. Collin was lying under the covers of his soft, comfortable bed. He sat upright and looked around his bedroom. It was dark and quiet, and when he pulled the curtains back to look outside the window, he could see that the sun was now starting to rise.

He couldn't believe his eyes. Was the adventure he had in the world of Minecraft all a dream? He immediately turned on his computer, hoping that his best friend, Sam, would be online. Collin glanced at the clock and saw that it was now half past six in the morning. When his PC was ready, he opened up Skype and saw that Sam was online.

"Sam? Why up so early?" Collin typed into the chat.

A dozen seconds passed before a reply came, "Was about to ask you the same question. Did you happen to dream about the world of Minecraft and both of us being in it?"

Collin smiled, knowing now that it was not just a dream, that he and his friend really did get trapped in the world of Minecraft. "Yes, except now I know that it wasn't a dream, because two people cannot share the same dream."

He was about to type something else into the chat when something purple glowed in the corner of his eye. He turned his head to the left and looked at his bed, and at the end of it, was a huge box. "I didn't notice that box there before," he said to himself with a confused facial expression. He walked quietly towards it and lifted the cover, to find a black egg with purple spots and a mysterious glow. It was an Enderdragon egg.