Chapter Twelve : Melt

Liam took a sharp turn and halted his car before the porch which he seemed to keep returning to quite often. The cafe's warmth seemed perpetual and welcoming. The pastel painted gate with flowerbeds surrounding it added a touch of vintage style to it and the wooden furniture with gold lighting solidified the feeling.

Stepping inside the wooden place, Liam's eyes fell upon the blonde man who was playing with his daughter while his husband laughed behind the counter. Moving into the cafe, he noticed the change in Shawn's smile as soon as he came into view. Prompting the man to nudge his husband who turned to see him.

"What does he want now?" Niall's voice asked, gruffly.

"Harry doesn't need anything," Liam responded with stoic undertone, "but I need a word with you."

"Where were you last Sunday evening?" He threw at the Irishman who turned to Shawn and gestured to take Viola while he nodded to move back to the house to Liam.

"I was racing," he answered to him, too quickly for his liking, opening the fridge to take out a bottle of beer and offered to Liam who declined it.

"Where exactly?"

"Downtown," he replied, opening the bottle, and throwing the cap away, "you know the place, I've seen you there."

"Harry was shot." He told him.

"By whom?"

"That's what we don't know."

Niall smirked and turned towards the man in the suit, "So you think it's me?"

Liam glared in response as if his presence wasn't an answer by itself. Chuckling, he took a sip of the beer, "I might hate the man but Louis loves him and as much as I would be absolutely indifferent to his death, it would hurt him."

The brunet didn't know how to take in this sort of a declaration and thought the best was to keep up with his original plan and plant a man who kept track of Niall's activities.

Opting to answer Niall, "If anyone from your side gets to know who did it, let us know."

"Yeah," Niall shrugged.

Moving away from the cafe, Liam headed out in the direction of Zayn's apartment. He still had to check up on him with regards to the shooting. He had been doing this non stop through the past few days, running around to collect information on the sudden attack which occured.

It had been almost a week since the godforsaken incident. The fact that Harry had been attacked shook the mob up, at least the inner circle because this wasn't anybody from their family, this was their Capo and anybody who dealt with the Mafia knew how much of a risk and stupid the decision was to attack the head of a family. Especially, a family which was this old and powerful.

Adding on that Harry had been attacked with impeccable perfection, especially when nobody was around, it was in distinction that this person whosoever he was, was keeping a keen eye on the mob boss and his actions.

Sighing, at the whirlwind of thoughts which occupied most of his time, he paused and got onto the elevator.

Ringing the bell on the apartment number he was directed to, he waited for the door to be answered. A few long minutes later, Liam rang the doorbell again.