Chapter six : Magic

The sun shone brightly through the clouds and violently upon the grass which moved through the smudged sky. The stands were filled with soft glamourous hues showcasing the lovely colours which draped most of the social elites who had taken their seats to watch the horses run through and place bets on them.

By the time Anne's birthday rolled in, Harry was much more healthy and had decided to attend the race and have lunch on the rooftop lounge before the extravagant party.

Louis like always had been silent until he excused himself to use the washroom when Harry averted himself to speak with another crime boss leaving the family to their own devices.

On returning from the washroom, Louis' eyes frantically searched for his husband and approached him immediately when he saw him talking to another man in a brown suit.
Seeing him approach, Harry made a hasty introduction and stepped away to talk to Louis. "On which horse are you betting?" He asked.

"Black Thunder. It never loses." Harry replied, pointing at the horse which was shown on the TV screen.

"How much?"

"Hundred grand."

"Do you trust me?"

"Louis." He warned but the brunet was swift to answer.

"Bet it on Lightning Fury instead."

"You might as well ask me to set my wallet on fire. It never wins."

Liam intervened immediately, as soon as he heard this. "Louis, I come here every weekend, the horse is a menace."

"Then trust me for once." He assured him with confidence in his eyes.

"I already feel that I'm going to regret this," Harry muttered and turned to Liam, "Stake the money on Lightning Fury."

Liam shook his head in disapproval of the situation and walked away from the Mob Boss while he bidded.

"Who are we betting on?" Desmond questioned when the two came over to rejoin them, as the betting pool was drawing into a closure.

"Lighting Fury," Harry answered and took a seat beside Louis.

His father gave him an odd look but Louis answered instead, "Trust me."

Desmond shook his head in disbelief and looked at Louis sceptically, "You can never get rid of your habits, can you?"

"Oh come on, I trust my son in law, I'm sure we'll win," Anne stated in a matter of fact manner to her husband who chuckled in agreement.

Louis shrugged and gestured to the track which was going to begin.

The shots fired and everyone's attention pooled down to the race tracks. The next shot fired marked the beginning of the race. The dust swivelled while the horses galloped in the direction the jockey steered them in.

And in less than a blink of an eye, most of the horses were in sync with one another except for Lightning Fury which was a few steps behind causing Harry to look at Louis in implication who just mouthed a wait.

Within the next few seconds, the entire picture of the race changed and Lightning Fury went further ahead leaving all the other horses back and swept through the finish line, initiating a wave of astonishment through the crowd.