▪3▪ (OLD VERSION)

I deeply apologize for the trash that is the rest of this novel :)

DAY 02
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 3

I stare down at the plastic baggy on my desk. It's about 8 inches tall and 5 inches across. In red bold letters on the front it says TEKULA PROJECT. Inside the bag is a hair follicle about 9 inches long, it is dark brown in color, and is slightly curly.

Dr. Anderson gave it to me yesterday afternoon. He also explained that the Tekula Project is the one we are working on...and the project I am to know nothing about.

He said I am to run the tests I am told to do, and not tell anyone but him and the others about my results. I understand that confidential means confidential, but I can't help feeling on edge about not knowing of the project I'm supposedly working on.

Especially given the results that came back from this hair after testing. In appearance it looks completely human, in fact it is human, but after further inspection, the hair actually contains Canis Lupus (wolf) DNA. And I don't mean wolf DNA has come in contact with the hair, for instance, the hair being covered in wolf's blood. No, the hair contains Homo Sapien and Canis Lupus DNA.

This is honestly the craziest thing I have ever seen. The hair couldn't possibly have come from a human, nor could it have come from a wolf, which leaves no explanation except for engineering the hair from two different strands of DNA. But I didn't know it was possible to seemingly create a hair. Let alone one with this much length and skin oils surrounding the outside.

I am currently waiting on Dr. Anderson to come to my lab. I would have brought the hair and the corresponding file to him, myself, after I had finished running the tests, but he was on Level 4--where I obviously can't go.

Presently, he walks in the door. "Good morning, Ms. Odair. How are you today?" He smiles at me and shakes my hand.

"I am well, and you?"

"Good, good," he nods. He rubs his hands and rubs his hands together in anticipation. "So, how did the results come back?"

"I actually found it quite baffling," I say, reaching behind me and grabbing the file off my desk. "The hair is human in nearly all aspects."

"Nearly?"

"Well, the hair did contain Canis Lupus DNA," I say hesitantly.

He nods his head, "Hmm." Is that all he is going to say? This is huge! Unexplainable even! And all he has to say is 'hmm?'

"Right, well, I will just be taking this to the others now. Thank you for the speedy work," he says, taking the file and the hair follicle from my grasp. With that, he rushes out the door and down the hall, his white lab coat swishing back and forth with every step.

▪▪▪

DAY 07
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 1

I fill my cup with the hot, steaming coffee and make my way to the assorted creamers and sugars. Man, I love break rooms. I didn't really drink coffee before I started working here, but now that it is more easily accessible than a drive-through, it is quickly becoming an everyday need.

There are a few tables here and there spread out around the room. People chat casually and make phone calls. This is actually the only floor that has signal. I was told it is a security measure as well as new tech being tested to scramble phone signal.

It's about 11:00 AM and it is my second official week working for B.E.A.R. Labs--enough time for me to know that if I want to enjoy the small break room without the company of hundreds of cranky government workers, I need to be here before 11:30 or after 1:30.

I haven't made any acquaintances, unless, of course, you count the desk lady I met on my first day here. I'm not necessarily disappointed by this observation. I am a relatively secluded person and this gives me a chance to focus on my work.

I haven't seen much of my fellow project workers, either. I have chatted once with the grey-haired man, Dr. Lansburry. He is a rather jolly man. He has two children and three grandchildren.

Dr. Conner, the woman scientist, has only approached me twice. Both times were when she dropped off items for testing and to critisize my work ethic. Needless to say, I don't think she likes me very much. Maybe it's because I am SEVERELY underqualified for this job. Maybe she sees me as a teacher's pet. Either way, I don't see us getting along.

The elusive Dr. Vanderwall I have only seen in passing. He is a bit intimidating, so I am glad I have not had to work with him so far. There is something about him that I just can't put my finger on. He just has this air of sophistication and prestige that only some people can even hope to achieve.

I slowly make my way back to my lab. I have come to love my lab. I have added a few personal affects and rearranged some of the preexisting tables and shelves to make everything more accessible.

I sigh as I sit down at my desk. It is only my seventh day and I have already been performing multiple experiments and tests pertaining to the mysterious Tekula Project. What is strange, is the kinds of tests I am running, are seemingly normal tests--ones that could easily be performed by anyone with a microscope.

My most recent test was of two skin samples with the same DNA. I just finished my observations and testing and am now reviewing my notes before calling in one of the other crew members.

The first sample is quite easily defined as having caucasian-level amounts of melanin--maybe even a slightly tanned. The other is of the highest levels of melanin possible in human skin. Since both samples have the same DNA strands, I would say the first is normal skin, and the second, with higher melanin levels, is the sample of an ephelis (freckle.)

Normally, I would say this is a rather meaningless test; however, I did notice that the DNA strand is the same as that of the hair follicle I tested on my first day, the one with mixed wolf and human DNA.

This project it getting even more crazy.

"Ah, Ms. Odair. Have you analyzed those skin samples yet?" Dr. Lansburry say, strolling into my office without knocking. I suppose I shouldn't mind, it's not like I was doing anything I shouldn't be, it was just startling.

"I just finished, actually," I say, gathering up my research. "The first sample was just cells from a caucasian Homo Sapien and the second looked to be a sample of an ephelis from said Homo Sapien."

"An ephelis? Like a freckle?" He asks with astonishment.

"Yes, sir, but ther--" I start.

"Oh, this is strange. Very strange indeed," he says, rubbing his grey colored stubble.

"Uh, sir? Are you alright?" I ask. He seems very on edge after hearing of the results.

"Yes, yes. I am quite alright. Thank you," he says before taking the papers from my hands and starting to leave the lab.

"Wait! Dr. Lansburry!" I say, trying to stop him. He turns back to look at me, giving me a nod to continue. "The DNA in the skin samples were consistent with that of the hair follicle containing wolf DNA. What exactly is going on, sir? What are we creating?"

He looks at me with a grim expression. He shakes his head, "Do not meddle with things you do not understand, young lady. There are very dangerous things in this facility, and I do not wish you any harm. You have been warned once, but I will warn you again: please, do not question what goes on int he lower levels. It is for your own good," he says gravely before swiftly exiting the lab.