001

Disclaimer:
I am in the process of editing. I am currently rewriting this book with the new version updated chapter by chapter. The old version is posted at the end of what is currently edited and will remain for those who still wish to read the old version.

Pomp and Circumstance plays monotonously in the background as numerous university students exit the stage. Lights from the flashes of various cameras sting the eyes of most students, Veronica Odair being one. She keeps her eyes aimed on the floor as she slowly descends the stairs, her footsteps steady despite the heels that adorn her feet.

Veronica can hardly believe she has finally completed her degree. Four years of early mornings, long lectures, and occasional all-nighters have led to the completion of the most important thing in her life: a bachelors degree in Forensic Science. Veronica does not have quite the same memories as most graduates. Their college lives consisted of loud parties with copious amounts of alcohol followed by hazy mornings and missed lectures.

She was different, however. Not in an interesting, noticeable way, but in a more monotonous and boring sense. Veronica never missed a single class, always turned in homework early, was never seen at parties, and was well liked by almost every single one of her professors. Her college life was simple and far from exiting or adventurous, but it was exactly the way she wanted it.

She finally makes it out of the large auditorium and into the packed green outside. She says her many goodbyes to the few students she actually spoke to before turning her attention elsewhere. Veronica weaves her way to the outer edge of the crowded area to wait on her family who no doubt are anxious to see her after the momentous ceremony.

She observes as overly excited students congratulate each other with tight hugs and many tears. In the very center of the crowd, a blond haired boy gets down on one knee in front of a slightly overweight brunette girl whose cheeks are already shiny with tears. The girl excitedly nods her head before he stands up and kisses her sweetly. Veronica supposes it could be considered romantic since they have both made a huge step in their lives, but at the same time, she feels like this is a moment that should be done in a more private atmosphere. To each their own.

The professors stand awkwardly to the side, much like herself. A few of them nod their heads at her and even make their way over for a short, departing chat.

Just then she sees her mother pushing her way through the throng of people. She holds her arms open and crushes Veronica in the tightest hug she can manage. Veronica pats her back gently as she sees her dad and sister, Morgan, arriving by her side.

She peels herself out of her mother's nearly asphyxiating embrace, gazing down at her puffy eyes and reddened cheeks.

"My baby girl. All grown up!" She manages to get out before breaking down into sobs once more.

Her mother seems to be taking the graduation particularly hard, considering it is one of the last. Veronica's younger sister is only a year behind her in school and will be graduating next spring. She and Morgan attended the same college and have shared an apartment throughout their time at university.

At first, Veronica had balked at the idea; the two tended to have fights when she lived at home, but the first year apart from each other helped the sisters to mature enough to tolerate sharing a home once more. They had a rule of no friends at the apartment which allowed a more private and less intrusive atmosphere for the two. Like Veronica, she never had many friends either, so that was never a problem. She went to school during the day and worked at night, Veronica worked during the day and went to school at night--a process that kept them out of each other's hair.