Chapter- Eight

Arnav woke up in the middle of the night, sweating profusely. He frowned getting out of his bed and entered his bathroom. He ran his fingers through his damp hair and splashed water on his face. "It's
okay” He mumbled. "Everything is fine

Arnav walked back to his room, intending to fill himself a glass of water only to find the jug in his room empty. Sighing he took the jug and walked towards the kitchen.

Anjali was sitting on the recliner in the poolside, looking at the clear night sky.

Shyam walked into the poolside from his room, “What are you thinking Mrs. Jha?

Nothing” She sighed

Shyam sat next to her and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer.

I have never seen Arnav behave so gently and politely with anyone. He treats Khushi almost as if she were a glass doll” Anjali said softly

Does that bother you?” Shyam asked

No, But Arnav has never behaved like that with anyone but... Her.” Anjali spoke in a low voice.

You think he considers Khushi to be the Khushi.. Our Khushi?” Shyam asked

It makes sense, It really does.” Anjali said

How could you say that?Arnav asked angrily "How could you just assume that our Khushi is dead!!"

Arvind looked at his son with soft eyes, "Chotte.. You saw how badly your Malini Maa and Vihaan Baba were burnt!"

"Doll was not there.. Why don't you people understand!!" Arnav screamed, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Anjali sobbed looking at her brother, His tears were always her undoing. She stepped ahead, in order to comfort her brother but was held back by her mother.

"Papa is there, You go and tell shyam that he needs to eat something. Tumse hi baat kar raha hai.. Tumhaari hi baat sunega (You're the only one he is talking to, He'll listen only to you!!)" Ratna spoke gently

Anjali nodded, "But.."

"Do you think a four year old would survive such a deathly accident? She was a child chotte. A child so fragile and so.."

"THAT'S WHAT I AM SAYING!! Papa.. She needs us, Your chutki our doll.  She's so fragile.. she's so.. small. She.. needs us. We should go to her." Arnav pleaded with his father, The anguish in his eyes causing Arvind's heart to clench in pain.

Arvind sighed, "Chotte come here" He pulled his son on his lap

"Do you think I don't love chutki?" He asked

Arnav didn't reply, He knew that Khushi was his father's lifeline.

"You think that I didn't ask the police to search for our Khushi?" He questioned again

"You did, I know!!" Arnav whispered in a low voice.

"They've searched the whole place, over and over again chotte. For six whole days!" Arvind explained his son "They could not find her chotte. Khushi is not there, She's dead!!"

"That's not true!!" Arnav sobbed.

"It's not easy chotte, I know that but you will have to accept it." Arvind said softly hugging his son close to his chest.