Chapter Five

"Good Morning" Khushi chirped as she and Anjali settled on their places on the dining table.

"Good Morning Chotte" Anjali greeted her brother, Who had just descended the stairs, dressed in an office suit.

"Morning Di, Hello Khushi." Arnav smiled at the two girls.

"How are you Khushi?" Shyam asked, looking up at her.

"I'm better Jija-ji, Di is taking me to the NGO today. Aren't you di?" Khushi asked.

"Today?" Anjali gasped, "You're hurt Khushi, Not Now!!"

"It's been a week and a half that I haven't stepped out of my room apart from mealtimes!!" Khushi pouted,

"You're such a child Khushi!!" Anjali chuckled at her expressions.

"Aren't you supposed to go to the hospital for your check-up today?" Arnav asked Khushi, who scrunched her face trying to remember.

"Yes.. In the evening." Khushi replied, "The last time I was there, the doctor had said that my recovery was better than normal patients."

"Because even your body knows you can't sit idle, for more than fifteen minutes at a time." Shyam commented with a grin.

"I don't know how you people manage it!!" Khushi whined.

"We don't, actually but we know that sometimes it's important." Anjali said. "Unlike you, A live fluttering butterfly!!"

"Diiii.."

"Khushiiii.."

"She's made a place for herself in our family in such a short period of time." Anjali thought to herself, A little louder than required.

"She's.. cute." Shyam smiled.

"She is."

Shyam wrapped his arms around Anjali's waist, "You.. know, I feel like I have gotten my chutki back." He confessed, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

"Shyam-ji." Anjali rubbed soothing circles on his back, He had unknowingly put her own thoughts into words

"I know it's.. not true." Shyam added quickly "I know.. there's no use hoping."

"It's okay, Shyam-ji." Anjali cupped his face "I.. would wish for that to be true too."

Shyam shook his head, "Chutki is dead Anjali, We looked for her, didn't we? We didn't find her, did we? However much we hope. The truth won't change. She.. she is  dead."

Anjali nodded, "I know that, but considering Khushi to be.. 'like' our chutki isn't wrong, Is it?"

Shyam nodded, suddenly a child-like smile lighting his face at the mention of his sister. "You remember how possessive your chotte was about chutki back in their childhood?"

Anjali nodded, "She was his little doll" She sighed. "It's difficult to understand how he was not affected by her sudden death though."

"She was merely a four year old Anjali and Arnav an eight year old when Chutki died, At that time.. He was barely aware of the concept of death. I don't expect him to remember her, Not when none of us have never even mentioned chutki around and in front of him for more than 20 years. In a way It's good that he.. has forgotten about her." Shyam said