I stepped on one of the dead bodies that would fall down from the ceiling, and the plastic body fell in front of Kyle as a loud scream followed.

Kyle didn't even react as he turned to me.  "Really?  That was probably one of the most predictable things you've done so far."

I pouted.  He was too observant and sharp for his own good.  

Finally after walking around another ten minutes, I grabbed a few random costumes and decided to try them on.  They all looked terrible, with skirts too short for me to be comfortable, or too tight or too bright-colored.

"Let me see it!" Kyle called from outside the dressing rooms, when I had put on an especially girly witch costume.

"Never!" I called back, and I could practically hear him rolling his eyes.

"Come on, it can't be that bad." He said.

"It's really bad."

But then Kyle yanked open the curtain which was separating me and him, and I let out a squeak.

"Hey!  I could have been naked!"

Kyle ignored my comment, and he was actually checking me out.  His eyes took in my chest, then my waist, and then finally down my rarely exposed legs.  I would have felt harassed or super uncomfortable if it was someone else, but for some reason, with Kyle, I felt...flattered.  My cheeks warmed and my heart thumped in my chest as he finally said, "you look cute."

"Thanks."  I was glad my voice didn't crack or sound high-pitched.

"But you shouldn't wear that." He added.

"How come?" I asked, worrying slightly if he thought I didn't have the physical appeal to look good in such exposing clothes.

"Because you look prettier in more modest clothes." He said, and stepped out of the dressing room.  Before he closed the curtains, he turned around and said, "by the way, you have great legs."

I had to sit down on one of the chairs in the dressing room before I could change out of my clothes.  My heart was hammering so much in my rib cage, and I willed myself to take a deep breath.  I felt like he knew me well, and that he respected me.  But not only that, he never seemed to care about how girls looked, and the fact that he complimented me made me feel so happy.

This was such a strange feeling.

I changed out of the witch costume and wore the jeans and T-shirt I came in and got out of the dressing room.  I continued looking for a costume and Kyle said some sort of sarcastic or bored remark every five or so minutes.  I finally decided on wearing a grey torn-up dead fairy costume.  it was knee-length and had a lacey fabric on top of the whitish-grey dress, and withered wings on the back.  It was creepy in a sort of beautiful way, and it actually looked quite nice.

"We finally get to leave." Kyle said, after I had made my decision.

"Wait a minute," I said, "you haven't gotten a costume."

"I don't need one."

"Of course you do, you're going to the party."

Kyle groaned and snatched the first cotume he found.  "Let's go."

"You have to try it on!" Kyle rolled his eyes, and he checked the size.

"It'll fit.  Now let's go."

I shook my head, but we quickly paid for the costumes and got out of the store.  A few girls in the store turned around to check out Kyle, and again I thought that he really was hot. I glanced up at him, and our eyes met, and he seemed indifferent.