29: Enemies to Allies

I sighed heavily, walking through the hallway at school. Now that I had experienced something so crazy the other day, I was having a hard time feeling the need to do something so normal like going to school or drinking water. And whenever I had even a moment to myself, I thought back to the mission that went wrong, a person dying in front of me just to protect me, my family's connection to a massive group that was going against the government, Zayden's family working with that said group, or basically anything even a little noteworthy in the past couple months.

There were still unanswered questions on my part, that was for sure. I knew that my aunt, Roselle was The Shadow Legion's leader, and my mom had run away from that part of her life. I knew that Roselle was after me because I may or may not have some information that could be incredibly valuable to her, and that I was the next heir to The Shadow Legion. But other than that, I didn't know anything, especially the details. 

As the whirlwind of thoughts swept across my mind, some ridiculous ones popped up as well. Once, I wondered if The Shadow Legion actually wasn't wrong. I actually didn't know of any specific examples of what terrible things they had done, and I wondered if I became the next leader, I could correct their wrongs and make it into an organization that fights for justice.

But as soon as the idea crossed my mind, I shook it away. How could I even consider joining something that Kyle and his family and friends had been fighting against their entire lives? When school ended, Henry picked me up but didn't drive me home, but instead to The Office. It had become somewhat of a habit, and I felt more at peace at The Office anyway. 

 I said bye to Henry and walked into the Residential Quarters, dropping off my bag and changing into more comfortable and what Brook called "hipster" clothes, which were olive green leggings and a black bralette with a lacey parka.

After changing, I went to where I knew I would find Kyle and basically everyone else in The Office I knew, in a large office next to Theo's, where they would be, no doubt, filling and researching, and mapping out every detail of my family and their connection to The Shadow Legion. Already, I had found out that my dad had two half-brothers that I had never heard of, who were hidden from the press and the family, because their father, my grandpa, had had an affair with a young woman, and they were the result of that affair. 

I had volunteered to help out, but everyone insisted I shouldn't, because it was "too personal". I was expecting a full hour-long presentation at the end of this.

When I walked into the room, the first person I saw was Kyle, looking down at a file in his hands, scribbling something down on his notepad.

"Hey." I said to him, and he smiled when he saw me.

"Hi." He replied tersely, but his expression said enough. Our interactions barely changed, but it seemed like he was more comfortable and open with me ever since we had....well, smashed our lips together, basically. 

"How's the research going?" I asked, looking at the piles of papers on the table and the crazy amount of tabs open on his computer screen. I didn't even know you could open that many tabs.

"Not really well." He said, as I raised an eyebrow at the insane amount of information laid out on the desk. "Well, we're finding out a lot of things, just not anything we need." 

"Do you have any family fun facts for me?"

Kyle shot me a charming grin, that made me want to smile myself and huddle into his chest. "Apparently, your grandpa was somewhat of a rebel, even before he had affairs and had a few children with his mistresses. He led a pretty major drug dealing company in his late teens, buying in drugs with his father's money, and then selling them out all over his neighborhood. He had to be bailed out of jail once because he was caught smoking pot and also when he harassed a girl sexually. All of this was hidden from the press, obviously, with money."