47: Time

Kyle's POV:

"Who is this guy?" I yelled, losing my cool. I pointed at my phone as if it was the ultimate enemy, intruding into my life uninvited.

"Okay, that's it, Kyle, I'm taking your phone away." Brook said reaching over. I quickly moved around so she couldn't take it.

"I'm serious. Who is this Niko guy and why did he tag her in a picture when she hasn't posted one with him? Is she hiding him from me?"

Brook groaned. "Kyle. You're way overthinking this. Don't you trust Cass?"

"I trust her... I do. But look at her. In all of these pictures."

"I've seen all of them. She looks gorgeous."

"Yeah, but... Doesn't she look like she's having fun?"

She bit her lip. I could tell she wanted to answer me honestly, but knew I wouldn't like the answer. "Yes. She looks like she's having fun. But that's all what social media's about. Pretending to have this fake, awesome life."

I groaned, cradling my phone in my arms. Brook sat down next to me, rubbing my back. "Don't you want her to be having fun? She's safe, and not at all miserable. Isn't that what you wanted?"

I took a deep breath. "I know. I do. But how can she be so happy when I always feel like shit?"

"Come on, that's not fair to her. I'm sure she's just way too busy that it distracts her from missing you."

"Dammit Cass." I muttered, "you lucky, beautiful girl."

"I think you could have some time off your phone. You're acting like a clingy ex-boyfriend."

"No!" I yelled, keeping my phone safe in my arms. This phone, or instagram, to be more exact, has been my life for the past two months. Whenever I wasn't busy working, I would spend hours staring at her pictures, reading every caption and comment she made. I wasn't clingy; I was just missing her. A lot. 

"I think you could spend time out. Flirt with a few girls."

"Why the fuck would you suggest that? We're not broken up."

Brook shrugged. "I didn't say that. But it looks like Cass isn't too uptight around guys."

"She's loyal! I know she fucking is."

Brook coaxed me, "I know. I know. She is loyal. I never suggested otherwise. But she's making friends—"

"Allies," I corrected.

"Allies, and she doesn't look like she's gone through a major break up. Maybe you should stop acting like it too."

She was giving sound advice. But I couldn't listen to her, because I just felt like shit anyway and there was nothing to help it. Except for one thing.

"I need to see her."

"What? No. Kyle, that could give away everything."

"You don't understand. I need to see her."

"Don't get your personal feelings mixed up in this, Kyle. We can't screw this up. Besides, Theo would never let you go."

"I can make up an excuse—a fake warning from the Shadow Legion, or something."

Brook hesitated. "How much help would you need?"

Cass's POV:

"By the start of the Civil War, the Scarlett Legion had grown into a full-blown social rebellion group. After African Americans were granted suffrage, they continued in civil rights movements, but gradually changed their focus to the wealth gap." Aunt Helen told me. It was interesting, because she would teach me American history, and tell me what the Legion was doing during that time.