10: Bodyguard

Shhh...I won't hurt you. A voice said into my ear as I trembled. The owner of the voice wasn't present, I was lying down on the ground in the darkness.

"No! Stop!" I yelled into the dark void. My voice carried out in to the distance until it faded away.

I said I won't hurt you, the voice said again. Who's talking to me?

I tried to get up, but I couldn't. It wasn't like I was paralysed, it was more like there was a weight on top of me that was keeping me down.

"Let me go!" I screamed, but again my voice seemed to travel everywhere around me until it faded away. How big was this place?

Then a dark shadow appeared. It was holding me down, straddled on top of me. Of course. I didn't understand how I hadn't seen it before. Now that I saw the shadow, the owner of the voice couldn't possibly be anything else.

I gasped when the shadow pressed its lips on mine, slowly, passionately.

I kicked and thrashed, feeling powerless and vulnerable.

I woke with a start, my entire body drenched in sweat. I looked around to find out that I was still at my house, safe in my room. I took a shaky breath and ran my hands down my face.

I glanced at the clock on my wall. It was 6:50. I had to wake up in ten minutes anyway, so I got out of the bed and walked to my shower.

I took a cold shower because I felt strangely hot and stuffy. The cold water splattered on me as I washed my hair with my coconut-smelling shampoo. I closed my eyes as the water fell onto my face, washing down the soap in my hair to my back, trailing down my legs.

Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. I opened my eyes and twirled around, only to find nothing but the shower curtains. I hesitantly opened the shower curtains, to reveal my bathroom. I exhaled, shaking my head. I was being strangely wary.

I continued washing my hair and I closed my eyes once again, but then flashes of the dark shadow in my dream filled my mind. My heart beat quickened at the thought of not being able to do anything. I sobbed in fear, and my knees felt weak as I curled up in a ball right there in the shower, the water continuing to splash on me.

* * * * *

I got to school early, so with the extra time, I went to the office to ask to change my locker and replace my notebooks.

The woman at the office seemed understanding as she handed me my new locker number and a notebook I could use for today. I took out what wasn't torn up in my locker, and I put it in my new locker, which was thankfully at the edge of the locker room.

Just then Kyle walked up to the locker next to me and opened it. The locker was really organised, the books standing vertically next to each other, and he had a magnetic box attached to the side where he put in pens and pencils. I had never seen such an organised guy in my life.

He saw me staring into his locker, but didn't make any comment about it. Instead he said, "new locker?"

I nodded. "My previous locker...got..."

"I know. It got ransacked."

I didn't know why, but the thought that my locker getting "ransacked" seemed dramatic and ridiculous, and I found myself laughing softly.

"What's so funny?" Kyle asked, closing his locker.

"I don't know. This...entire situation." I said, waving my arms around me.

Kyle obviously knew about what was happening just as well as everyone else. If I wasn't getting bullied and having nightmares, I would have genuinely thought this was hilarious, because the entire student body being interested in what was happening to one student was completely idiotic. But with everything happening, it wasn't really a laughing matter.