Convinced

Summary: Clementine swings on a tire swing again, and Louis realizes something much, much larger. Requested by Anon on Tumblr💛
Word Count: 1,250 words
Genre: Fluff
A/N: Hello! I hope you all enjoy this quick thing I wrote up for an Anon on Tumblr. (To you—I hope this makes you proud!)

It was a day that would be described in sonnetts. It seemed that way as every minute had already been so perfectly placed and executed, like it'd come straight out of one's mind. It took a moment for Louis to realize how lucky he was to be living in it—to be able to reach out and caress a dying, orange oak leaf, to be able to smell the charming stench of dead bodies and early morning autumn dew, to look just to his left and see his exceedingly beautiful girl, mouth twisted in concentration as she looked over the food plan.

Clementine clearly didn't notice his staring, even as the minutes passed and their silence became increasingly noticeable. But it isn't as if them not talking was awkward. In fact, much of their time, especially after the Delta, had been spent in the quiet. It was good for both the boy and the girl, to relax in the tranquility of non-chaos and to pleasantly smile at the other, skin crinkling beneathe their eyes.

The stillness was interrupted, though, when Aasim, Willy, and AJ all burst through the dormitory building's door to the outside. The juvenile, messy hysterics of the two youngest were definitely annoying the older boy, who was scolding them to keep it down as it was still early. Once they met the stares of Louis and Clementine, the conversation halted.

"Oh, hey guys," Aasim greeted, his scowl suddenly smoothing out on his face. "Sorry for all the noise. These two haven't been able to shut it since they woke up."

"It's fine, I get it," Clem responded in a sentimental tone. "I know how restless AJ can be."

"Hey! I'm not restless!" The little boy rebutted.

Louis piped in, saying, "Consider it a good thing, little man. Soon enough you'll be like our sweet, lovable Clem here, sleeping in until all hours of the afternoon."

"I didn't today!" She defended.

"That's only because you had work to do," Louis commented. "Speaking of which," he turned back to Aasim. "I hope that's what you're going to do."

"Yeah, figured we could always use some more food, especially with it getting colder and all." He explained, barely finishing before Willy cut in.

"Don't worry, Louis! We won't disappoint you!"

Aasim and Willy started heading off toward the front gate with that, but AJ lingered behind, holding his stare on his closest parental figures.

"What is it, AJ?" Clementine asked, shifting her stump uncomfortably.

He smiled gingerly. "I was wondering if maybe you guys could push me on the swing once we get back?"

"You bet, little man." Louis grinned widely, immediately sending AJ into a more comfortable state before he ran off after the other two boys.

Clementine watched him leave, a fond look settled in her golden eyes. Suddenly, wistfulness overcame it, and she solemnly looked down at the ground.

"Hey, you alright?" Louis asked, gently placing a pianist hand on her back, drawing small circles.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm okay. Just thinking."

"You feel like sharing?"

Her eyes darted back up to meet his. A soft breeze passed, nudging strands of curls against her cheeks. "Seeing AJ so excited because of the tire swing just reminds me of when I was a kid and I swung in one."

He blinked before an idea came to mind. "Why don't you swing in it again?"

Clem's eyebrows shot up in surprise at his words. "Louis, if you haven't noticed, I'm a little...um, impaired?"

"Nonesense! I'll push you!" He shouted and stood up to help her to her feet. He ignored her protests as he acted as a crutch over to the swing.

"Louis, I—"

"Please, Clem?" He pleaded, gripping her shoulders as tightly as he could without hurting her.

She rolled her eyes. "Fine!"

Louis chucked, pumping his fist temporarily before wiping off the tire of water and dirt.

Soon enough, they eased into a routine of Clementine swaying her leg(s?) brusquely against the wind as Louis pushed the rubber ring away, becoming descreasingly worried at the possibility of Clem falling. He grew so comfortable in her ability that he even drew away one hand and placed it on his hip, observing how she giggled with every swing and gasped everytime he touched her back.

"So, is this anything like your old tire swing?"

"Almost exactly." Clementine responded though her voice wavering in and out of tone. "And, sorry to disappoint, but I really only had the swing for a day."

"Why only a day?" Louis asked, genuinely curious. "What'd you do? Break it?"

The girl chuckled, "I don't think an eight year old would be able to break a swing, Lou."

"Hey, you never know. I can imagine child Clementine still being very muscular. You know, like a body-builder," he explained, still not really making any actual sense.

"You're such a weirdo," she sighed. "When this all started, the group I was with stayed at this really big, gorgeous dairy farm owned by this family. I mean, later, we found out they were really awful people..." She started to trail off.

Louis stayed quiet, waiting to let her continue story-telling.

And she did. "Anyway, they were the ones who had the swing. My old friend, Duck, and I played on it all day, and Lee pushed me anytime he could. Just like you are now."

The theatrical boy put aside his acting for a moment and allowed himself to not act. He just smiled, knowing that somehow he was on the same level of importance to her as Lee, the man who literally saved her life. Louis didn't know if he would, or even could, live up to that name ever.

Still, his heart warmed at the thought. With his mind so lost in affection and flattery, he didn't notice that he had stopped pushing overall, resulting in Clementine drastically slowing down.

She twisted the rope around, circling the tire, and looked up at him. "What're you thinkin' about?"

Louis' palms grew sweaty because of her voice, bringing him back to the very first time he had heard her speak. God, how much everything had changed since then—the school, his friendships, them. Though it was only a few weeks ago, it seemed like years. Despite the short amount of time, Louis knew what his feelings were for the girl. And they were more hightened than ever before as he felt her slip her small hand into his.

"I'm convinced I'm in love with you." He stated, simply and so quietly that it took her a moment to process what he said.

"What?" She questioned, laughing, though it sounded closer to a whimper.

"I'm in love with you, Clem. I know I am." Louis insisted, kneeling down onto his knees to get to her level.

"Louis..." She paused as she looked between his face and his hands entwined with hers, set atop her thighs.

He shook his head. "You don't have to say it back, I just know—"

Clementine silenced him by pressing her lips against his, as if taking the words directly out of him. He hummed in response, alarmed, and took a moment to close his eyes in comfort. For a little, the kiss became passionate, as she leaned in more roughly, moving a hand up to his jaw. Soon, though, it returned to its gentle nature—the way both of them liked kissing.

She pulled away first, flustered and sighing. "Of course I'm in love with you, you dork."