Here Comes the Sun (do do do do)

Summary: Nobody likes the rain, especially Clementine and AJ, so Louis decides to do what he does best to cheer them up.
Genre: fluff/comfort
Word Count: 1,691 words
A/N: Has this been done before? I really don't know. Anyway, it's 3 am when I'm finishing this so I hope you guys enjoy!

Cold water rushed through the gutters of Ericson's Academy for Troubled Youth after pit-patting against the damaged roof. It pooled out into the courtyard, creating murky oceans dividing the picnic benches, perfect for stomping a old, worn boot into. After all, that was practically all one could do outside after days of downpour, especially a five year old boy who got bored and lonesome quickly.

AJ always woke up earlier than Clem, even on nice days, even on days which were perfect. It was different on rainy days, though, like the past few ones. AJ would wait and wait and wait and it seemed like she was never getting up. He could draw dozens of pictures using Tenn's old art supplies, take multiple laps around the school, and practice his reading and vocabulary all in the hours before Clem woke up. Even when others woke up, all he wanted was for her to. Still, he tried to brush it off as an effect of her being a teenager or her amputation.

He sat on a windowsill in the music room, wedged between a bookcase and Louis' piano, swinging his legs to kick the wall. His cheek was leant against the cool pane, which seemingly blocked out everything but the sounds of water hitting it. Which, for the boy, sucked, as he hated the sound of rain. It wasn't calming, nor exciting, as all it truly did was remind him of him and Clem's time on the road before Ericson. It reminded him of hunger, of cold, of fear.

"Hey, little dude."

Louis' voice snaps AJ's lulling eyes open and over to the doorway where he stood. Surprisingly, he wasn't wearing his signature coat, meaning he probably just woke up. AJ grinned once he saw the older boy. Even if he wanted Clem awake, Louis was fun, too.

"Hi, Louis!" He exclaimed, straightening his posture against the glass. "Is Clem awake?"

Louis walked over and sat down at the wooden piano bench, staying silent for a few moments. "Not yet, buddy. She, uh, she isn't feeling too good right now."

AJ's face immediately fell into a mixture of confusion and worriedness. "What? Is she sick?"

"No, AJ, she's okay," Louis chuckled before saying, "She's just been feeling a little sad lately. I'm not really sure why, but maybe a visit from you would help her."

"But what if she'd rather just sleep?"

"Instead of hanging out with you? You're, like, the coolest guy I know. Of course she'd rather hang with you!" Louis comforted, playing a random array of notes after which sent the child into a fit of giggles.

"Okay, okay! I'll go wake her up," AJ gave in. "Later, can you show me some more card tricks? Ruby was asking when I was gonna' learn more."

"Of course, little dude. Come find me when you and Clem are done."

AJ nodded eagerly, a newfound smile plastered on his face, before sprinting off into the hallway. Louis watched the boy leave, making sure he was out of sight. Then, he stood up to start the search for what he came in the music room to find in the first place. A ukulele.

What Louis had told AJ was true—Clem had been feeling sad lately, but Louis knew he couldn't tell the child why. The previous night, Clem, after much convincing, had finally spoken out about the millions of thoughts running through her mind.

"I'm not a good person, Lou," Clem had whimpered, meeting his dark eyes. "I know you don't think so, but you haven't known me that long."

"Clem, what're you even talking about?" He asked, dumbfoundedly, taking a seat close to her on the bed.