She Chose You

Summary: Violet expresses her feelings about Clem not saving her from the raiders to Louis.

Warnings: Some swearing

Genre: Angst (I guess?)

Word Count: 1,173

It had been two weeks since the Ericson kids had defeated the Delta. Everything worked out as planned—the walkers, the bomb, the rescue of the kids that were taken. But while Omar and Aasim were beyond thankful the others had come back for them, the same couldn't be said for Violet.

She had barely said a word to anybody at the school since they returned, especially Clementine. If she did say something, it was usually along the lines of "fuck off" or "I don't give a shit." Nobody bothered rebutting her words, ever since she told them in the brigs that she wouldn't help them escape, or even leave herself, although they eventually forced her to.

Louis couldn't believe Violet when Clem told him that. How could one of his best friends of so long be so selfish? And all because Clem couldn't save both him and her? He was more sympathetic than Violet, thinking that even if Clem had saved her instead of him, he wouldn't act like that at all. But maybe he was just imagining himself as a better person than he actually is.

Once they had returned home from the fight, and all gone to bed, Louis stayed up with Clementine, talking quietly while watching AJ snooze away. Neither of them were able to sleep, with his thoughts about how he killed a living, breathing human and with her paranoia. In their late night conversation, she told him about how disappointed she was in herself that she couldn't save them both.

"It was all happening so fast," she had said. "I couldn't let them take you, Louis, but how could I let them take Violet, either?"

Louis wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him, their backs against the wall, feet dangling off the bed. "You know you did the best you could, Clem."

"Did I, though? Saving you was my first instinct, obviously, but maybe if I had been just a little faster or more prepared, I could've helped her, too. You didn't hear everything she said in that cell. That's the worst I've ever felt about myself." Clementine explained in a wavering voice, slightly staring off into space.

Louis stared down at the girl in his arms, eyes lingering at her honey-pooled eyes, now full of distress and exhaustion. "We can only do so much in this world, Clem. At least she's here now."

"Not like she wants to be. She even said it, she'd rather be dead on the carcess of that boat or in the river somewhere with Minnie." Clem whispered, flicking her eyes over to the window, now allowing the sunrise's glow through.

Now, weeks later, Violet still wasn't over it, but neither was Clem. There had been one-sided attempts to mend their friendship, but nothing had worked, making the entire atmosphere of run-down Ericson awkward and unusually quiet. There hadn't been any dinner-time card games, no hootenannies, and hardly any team work. And Louis was tired of it, just as much as anyone else.

This annoyance is what brought Louis to the door of Violet's room. He remembered years ago when he'd come to her room to just talk, especially after Sophie and Minnie were gone. Violet got lonely a lot, and went to Louis because of it. He didn't mind, of course. They had always been there for each other.

He knocked on the door quietly, almost timid for her to answer. When she answered, and saw the tall boy, she rolled her green eyes and tried to close the door on him.

Blocking her attempt, he joked, "You aren't gonna' get rid of me that easily, Vi."

"Only in my dreams," she grumbled. "What do you want?"

He sat down on the rickety wooden chair set in front of her desk. "I thought maybe you'd want someone to talk to, since you haven't been doing much of that lately."

"Yeah, there's a reason for that, shithead." Violet said as she walked over to the small window, back towards Louis.

He half-smiled a little. "Please, enlighten me."

"You already know why."

"I really don't."

"Yes, you do," she insisted, turning around to face him. She, of course, looked pissed, livid even, but there was a hint of sadness on her face. "Clem chose you, Louis."

"Look, Vi, she's already upset that she couldn't save us both from the raiders and you know that she never meant to—"

"No, that's-that's not what I meant. Well, kind of but not really..." Violet trailed off, praying he'd understand what she meant.

And he did. Louis' face fell from his doofy grin to a look of sorrow for the girl now looking at the floor. He didn't even consider the fact that Violet could have those kinds of feelings again after Minnie was gone. But apparently she could, and for one short, curly haired girl. The same girl Louis had feelings for.

"Vi, I-I'm sorry," he comforted, standing up and slowly pacing towards her.

She rolled her eyes once again, but now filled with some tears, such a small amount he barely noticed. "Whatever. I doubt she would've ever chosen me... It's never me."

"Come on, you had Minnie. She loved you more than anything." Louis consoled, slightly anxious to bring up the topic of the ex-girlfriend.

"And look where she is now—dead, or somewhere floating in that stupid river. I could've stayed with her, and been with her right now, Louis," she yelled, but quieted down almost immediately. "But you guys forced me to leave."

That comment angered Louis, though he understood where she was coming from. "Did you want to be rescued or not, Violet? Because you're kind of being contradict—"

"I wanted to be someone's first choice!" She admitted, "I was there for Clementine even when you weren't, right after Marlon died. And yet she still chose you, of all people. You, with your dumb-ass piano and jokes and charm and wanting to kick her out, you."

She huffed and sat down on her bed, the hinges of it squeaking harshly. It hurt Louis to hear her say that stuff, since he knew it was all true. He had been arrogant towards Clem and AJ after Marlon was shot, and while they'd both forgiven him and he them, he still doubted that he deserved to be with Clem. She was so perfect, but what was he?

Louis took a seat next to her on the bed, and noticed a single tear rolling down her cheek. It was a strange sight, since she had always been so emotionally armored.

"She really misses you," he said softly. "Even as her best friend."

"I miss her, too." Violet whispered, so quiet he could barely make it out. "Fuck, I'm such a bitch."

He chuckled a bit. "Don't worry about it. She forgives you, I know. I'm sure you can forgive her, too."

She nodded her head and looked up to meet Louis' brown eyes, the first time the whole night. "I already do."