20. Full Blood or Half

20. Full Blood or Half?

*Christine's POV*

"They aren't working still," I told a healer the next day. "Should it take this long?"

"Just be patient, princess. They will return."

I sighed and nodded. I would've been free to go this morning had I not freaked about my powers.

Jacob sat by my bedside, smiling at something. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing. I'm just glad to have you back. I should go find Dylan, ask him what he found out about the Culberson's."

He walked out and I stood up, receiving only one sharp glare from a healer. "May I please attend my etiquette lesson?" I asked. My teacher would have my head if I hadn't asked properly.

"Yes you may, but come straight back."

"Thank you," I smiled politely and walked out.

Micah Dean was very proper and had an air of sophistication about him, but he was also kind and patient. Jacob had attended my first lesson to make me more comfortable, but Mr. Dean was so easy to get along with that I didn't need him to come any following times.

After changing into a suitable dress for the lesson and combing my hair appropriately, I walked down the halls to my lesson room.

"Natalia, I didn't expect to see you today, dear," he said as I walked in. "How are you feeling?"

"Very well thank you. Mr. Dean, I've been hit in the head more than once. I have attempted to leave many times today, and your lesson gave me the opportunity to do that."

"I'm glad. Today our lesson will be outside under the gazebo. I believe the fresh air will do us both some good."

"The flowers are lovely this time of year as well. It would be refreshing to have a change of scenery."

As we walked, he inquired about James' family, especially his father. I wondered if there were rumors that he had tried to kill or maim me. Curious myself at what had happened, I tried to pay attention during the lesson, but my mind would not quit wandering.

"Natalia!" Mr. Dean called my attention back for the fourth time. "What has your attention so captured today?"

"I'm curious, Mr. Dean, about why and how I was hurt. I apologize for my wandering mind."

"None of us can tame the mind. If we could, we would have found a way by this point. Since you are so curious, perhaps we could cut this lesson off and continue tomorrow. You may go speak to the king about it, I'm sure he's found out."

"Thank you, Mr. Dean, but the healers told me to come right back to the infirmary when our lesson was over."

"No need to worry. I will talk to them."

I curtsied like he'd taught me. "Thank you."

I hastened inside, pausing only to ask where Jacob was. He was in his office.

Walking in quietly, I softly closed the door behind me and made my way to his desk. "Natalia, what are you doing up and about?" He asked.

"I just finished my lesson with Mr. Dean. I wondered what you learned about my attack." I looked over the document laying on his desk while I spoke. "You make it sound like you're giving them a choice, if you would like to put this law in place you might like to use a stricter tone."

He chuckled. "A born lawyer. And concerning Mr. Culberson, I didn't find out much other than what Dylan could get from James."

"And that is?"