10. Kidnapping

10. Kidnapping

*Christine's POV*

"No, not yet. Please, another day," I begged.

"He doesn't have another day, Christine. You know that. Tomorrow we find out if he loses his powers, recovers, or dies," said Uncle David remorsefully.

I ran my hands through my hair and sat on the chair in Dylan's room. I would hurt him. I was going to bend him just too far and he would snap or I wouldn't be able to do it and make everyone angry with me.

Dylan appeared asleep now, but I knew he heard everything we were saying. Today was Monday and he looked worse than before if it was possible. Aunt Jen hadn't been able to get him to eat since yesterday morning, today I knew he wouldn't be able to chew anything; he could hardly talk when he was awake.

"Chris, you can do this." Aunt Jen encouraged, patting my back.

I nodded unsurely. Asking them to leave so I could focus strongly, I took a deep, calming breath.

Dylan's eyelids fluttered open. I knew he was hearing us. A small smile flit across his face. I nodded, trying to encourage myself.

As I closed my eyes to concentrate, the window broke and I screamed. Andrew jumped in and flicked his hand over to the door, flipping the lock.

"Andrew, what are you doing?"

"You never told me where you lived. I had to send my sister to find out. You should listen to your uncle." Pounding could immediately be heard on the other side of the door, along with shouts and a little girl's wails.

"What?"

"He warned you about me, didn't he?" I set my jaw, feeling betrayed and utterly idiotic. Jessie wasn't really my friend? She was just playing me? Fantastic. "Thought so. Now, here's the deal. You and Dylan come with me or I make your entire family sick with this disease."

Dylan immediately tried to move. I stopped him, ignoring the shouts on the other side of the door.

"Andrew, don't make him leave. He can hardly move."

"That's not my fault. Oh wait, yes it is." I grit my teeth. "Are you coming or not?"

"Fine," I huffed, knowing Dylan would keep trying to go no matter what I said or did to stop him.

He refused to touch me, but I just rolled my eyes and helped him stand. He could hardly, so I used my double strength (telekinesis gave me a boost) and supported him, making sure I didn't touch his skin.

"Before we go, Andrew," I said, "why do you want us?"

"You have no idea how rare naïve emotion benders are, especially with who you are. And after interbreeding between our kind and humans, very few retain abilities as pure as invisibility. I had to weaken Dylan before trying to take either of you."

I nodded. So I was naïve for not knowing who I was? And Dylan was rare? Wonderful. Lucia would be crushed. His parents would be devastated. As far as they'll know, he'll be dead. I was lucky in this, my parents think I'm human and safe.

It was difficult to get Dylan out to Andrew's car (apparently he had his license) because he would have to stop for breath every few steps. Eventually Andrew got sick of it when we go to the window and picked Dylan up, throwing him over his shoulder like a rag doll.

I flinched at this, seeing his face. My heart pounded in my chest, hoping I'd get the chance to help Dylan while we were driving.

"Get in," Andrew said, throwing Dylan down on the backseat. I scurried around the other side and slammed the door, seeing Dylan struggling to sit up. "Help him."

Everything said after that was a simple command. "Don't speak." "No saving." I could only sit and stare, wishing I could help. I wonder what my parents would say if they found out what was happening. How they would fight.

I noticed we were driving south and my hopes rose. Maybe we could find the other emotion bender and have him help Dylan.

"Shut him up," Andrew growled back. My attention was drawn to Dylan, who was groaning and moving blindly with the bumps and slight turns of the steering wheel.

I took that as leave to speak. "I need to heal him, otherwise it won't stop."

He set his jaw, but I knew he was getting increasingly irritated with the noise. "Fine."

"Hurry!" he snapped. I jumped.

"If I hurry, he'll have a men-"

"Fine. Just get on with it." I sighed irritatedly at him.

Slowly, probably way too slow for Andrew, I used Dylan's feeling weak and hurt to make him ecstatic. I was almost to the point of making him feel suicidal as well when we hit a huge bump that jostled me out of concentration.

I opened my eyes and saw Dylan smiling at me, encouraging me now since he wasn't ecstatic anymore. Sighing, I leaned against the window and watched the scenery pass.

"We're here," Andrew said, stopping the car in the middle of nowhere. "Get him out, useless."

Even though I knew his true colors now, it still hurt me a bit to hear someone I'd considered a friend for a month call me useless. It was true though, at least in this aspect.

I helped Dylan stand and Andrew put blindfolds on us. My first thought was about how he would lead both of us, but then my feet lifted off the ground.

I kept in contact with Dylan, who gave my gloved hand a light squeeze. I was insanely curious what Andrew wanted with us, perhaps I'd find out soon. Hopefully I wouldn't. I didn't want to know what I would have to to through.