18. Jack Waters

18. Jack Waters

*Dylan's POV*

When I woke up to screaming, I knew immediately that it was Christine. I could tell she was scared and my mind jumped to Andrew. Was he here? Being closest to her room, I was the first in.

She was still sleeping. Wrestling her sheets, but sleeping. I breathed a sigh of relief and walked over to shake her.

"Dylan, what's wrong?" She asked.

"You were screaming."

"I was?" Her face scrunched up in confusion. "I wonder what I was dreaming about."

One look at the clock told me it was seven in the morning. "Not sure, but Brianna is definitely a heavy sleeper."

"I'm going to get up and call James. He loves cleaning, maybe he'll help us."

"It's Sunday."

"Exactly. So I'm going to go down to the school and try to get everything fixed so we can start soon, you guys can stay here and clean. It's so dusty I can feel it in the air. Open some windows."

After Chris left with Brianna, James and I set to cleaning. I hated it, but if I didn't then I'd be in trouble. James was a sophomore and younger brother of a freshman girl in college. He was about five foot ten.

He claimed the kitchen and living room, while I got stuck with bathrooms and bedrooms. They weren't that dirty, just insanely dusty.

"Dylan," James called, "you should come see this!"

Being grateful for the reprieve of cleaning, I dropped the washcloth and ran into the kitchen. He had a bag of dog food in his hands.

"I didn't know Christine had a dog." He asked.

"She doesn't."

*Christine's POV*

"You really didn't have to come with me," I told Brianna.

"I kinda did. We don't know how long it'll be until the Wilson's hear that you've moved back. Plus, there're human creepies all over the place." I chuckled.

Quickly we got through everything with the lady at the front desk and were told we'd start next Monday. After settling that, I told Brianna that I needed to run over to our neighbor's house for a minute. Nodding, she waved goodbye and jogged into my house.

"Mrs. Nobel, nice to see you again."

"Christine, I didn't expect you back until May, dear!" The old lady smiled and ushered me inside. "Where're your parents?"

"They decided to stretch it out, so I moved back with my cousins." To be safe, we decided to tell everyone that Brianna was my cousin as well. Her hair color was exactly the same as Dylan's, which we could label as their only similar trait.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're back."

"Where's Jack?" I questioned, desperate to have him back.

"Oh, he's around here somewhere."

I whistled, a call he always responded to. Suddenly a large black Labrador knocked me to the ground. I giggled as Jack licked me.

"He's been missing you something fierce recently."

"I missed you too, buddy." I pet him and kissed his head. I'd gotten Jack as a present on my thirteenth birthday. He'd been about a year old at that point.

"Thank you for taking care of him, Mrs. Nobel."

As I walked to the door, having grabbed his leash, she looked me up and down. "There's something different about you. I can't put my finger on it, but you seem...different somehow."

"It's probably my hair. I got a few highlights recently." I lied, hoping she didn't question it.

"That must be it. Anyway, I'm getting old and my eyes aren't as sharp as before." She chuckled anxiously. "It was nice seeing you again."

After thanking her again, I walked out the door and down the street to my house. Inside I could faintly hear an argument. Frowning, I stepped inside.

"Guys?" I called. "What's going on?" Dylan rounded the corner and Jack ran forward, sniffing him.

"You have a...dog?" Dylan asked slowly.

"Yeah, why?"

"How did I live with you for six months and not know you had a dog?"

I shrugged. "What's the arguing about?"

"Nothing anymore. We thought maybe someone had broken in at some point because we found dog food."

"Nope." I smiled and let my buddy off his leash. "I left him with my neighbor while we were gone."

"Did you guys get much cleaning up done?" Brianna asked.

James answered, "I finished dusting the living room and am just over halfway done with the kitchen."

Turning up his lip in disgust, Dylan said, "I cleaned all the bathrooms and showers."

I rolled my eyes at him. "I'll start dusting the bedrooms."

"And I'll vacuum once she's done," Brianna finished.

By that evening everyone was exhausted. Along with cleaning, Brianna had picked up groceries, I'd cooked dinner, Dylan had taken Jack for a walk, and James had mowed and cleaned up the yard.

"Thanks for your help, everyone." I sighed.

"No problem," James smiled. "I told my parents I'd be back after dinner, so I need to head back soon." James lived a few streets over, so he walked.

We finished gulping down the spaghetti I'd whipped up, and Dylan looked almost surprised. "I didn't know you could cook either."

"Mom made sure I could take care of myself if they suddenly had to leave or something. I can also sew, cry on demand, and I know self-defense."

He looked impressed. "Cool."

After James left, I yawned and leaned my elbows on the counter, closing my eyes. "I'm tired too." Brianna sighed. "Unfortunately, I have to shower. So I'll see both of you in the morning."

It was really nice to be back, and also have my two "cousins" with me, I thought as I absentmindedly pet Jack.