Chapter Seven, The Ruins

AN: So, this is kinda incomplete but I just decided to post something because it's been so long since the last time I did.

"This is the puzzle but... here, y/n, take my hand for a moment, Frisk, you can take his." toriel tells you this as you approach a huge floor of spikes,
"T-Toriel, is this safe?"
"yes, do not fear, my child, I walk this every day." she says, taking you hand and walking forward. You reach back and grab Frisk's hand as Toriel steps onto the spikes. As soon as her foot touches the top of the spikes they retract into the floor with a satisfying "shing" like the sound of a sword being drawn in a cheesy movie. Slowly, carefully, we edged our way on to the spikes, always expecting them to suddenly pop up and stab us. But they never did. Eventually you, Toriel and Frisk step off of the spikes and on the the normal path. You realize you had been holding your breath and breathe a sigh of relief.
"Puzzles seem a little too dangerous for now." toriel tells you motheringly, before turning and once again walking out of the room.
"Ya think?!" you say under your breath to Frisk, who looks at you accusingly.
"At least she helped us. She can't control whether or not there's a puzzle there."
"Well, I mean, I suppose. Your right, I should be more thankful. We're strangers and she is helping us so much."
"Yup!" Frisk says, skipping into the next room.
"Frisk seems satisfied with your response." disembodied  voice of Chara narrates with a smile in her voice; as you follow her to the next room, "also more cheerful."
"You have done excellently thus far, my children." Toriel address you seriously as you enter the room, "However... I have a difficult request to ask of you. ... I would like to walk to the end of this room by yourselves. Forgive me for this."
"Toriel!" Frisk calls to her but it's too late. Suddenly, Toriel rushes off, and a fire magic wall appears behind her. When it fades away, Toriel is gone. A tense (AN: your welcome to anyone who has listened to the soundtrack) atmosphere settles over the room. You and Frisk are in shock, that was sudden, you feel like Frisk would have told you about this when she told you about her trip through the underground. Come to think of it, she hadn't said anything about  the spike puzzle either... had she?
"W-Well she said we just have to walk to the end of the room right? We can do that." you look at Frisk, she's obviously made at herself for not remembering what happens here.
"Yeah, we got this. Toriel wouldn't let anything happen to us." you reassure her. She gives you a weak smile and you start off down the long hall.
"It seems like it's getting longer!" Frisk exlames after a while of walking.
"Maybe it's just like one of those optical illusions where they make the walls farther apart as the hall goes along so the hall looks shorter than it is." Frisk glances at you like you've lost your mind completely as you try to hold in a laugh. She grins and you start snickering like an idiot. In the end, you're on your hands and knees laughing and Frisk is standing over you with an un-amused look like; why do I have babysit this looser.
At the end of the hall Toriel rushes out from behind the pillar she was hiding behind, after having seen you on the ground and thought you had been sick.
"My child!" she addresses Frisk, slightly out of breath having run down the hall, "is y/n alright?"
"Yeah, he's fine... I think." you slowly regain you lost composure and stand up. "Ya done?" Frisk raises an eyebrow at you.
"Y-yeah." you say still smiling
"What was even so funny about that?"
"I really have no idea."
"My children~"
"Yes-wait, Toriel! Where were you?"
"Ah, greetings my child. do not worry, I did not leave you. I was merely behind that pillar the entire time. Thank you for trusting me. However, there was an important reason for this exercise... to test your independence. You did uh, well..."
"Don't worry Toriel, me and Frisk can take care of ourselves."
"Frisk and I my child, and I'm sure you can, I'm sorry for doubting you. I must attend to some business and you must stay alone for a while. Please remain here. It is dangerous to explore by yourself. I have an idea! I will give you a cellphone."
"I have one already. Do you Frisk?"
"No" She said holding out her hand for Toriel to give her the phone. Toriel gave you her number and told her to call if you need anything before turning and leaving. A few minutes after Toriel disappeared around the corner, you spoke up,
"Should we try to follow her?"
"No! She... well, let's wait a few minutes and if she's not back we can call her."
"Ok, good plan."

Time skip ten minutes

"Well," Frisk sighed, "Toriel will probably be busy trying to get her phone back from that dog for a while, so... I guess we should go with your plan."
"AWSOME! I-I mean... yeah, you're right... sorry, I'm just excited to explore." Frisk gives you a slightly disapproving look before trying for a smile.

As you continue to the next room, you spot another Froggit squatted in place, looking at the two of you.
"Frisk!" You hiss, she turns to look at you,
"What?"
"Behind you!"
"Are you really worried about that Froggit?" Frisk asked you, trying to raise an eyebrow and failing.
"Um, no.. well yes, you should be too!"
"Excuse me, humans, I have some advice for you about battling monsters. If you ACT a certain way of fight until you almost defeat them, they might not want to fight anymore. If this happens, please, show some mercy, human."
"It talks!" You look to Frisk who is wearing an un-amused expression.
"Of course it talks, it's a monster."
"Well, yeah, I'm just not really used to frogs talking, yaknow?"
"I'm right here you know."
"Right, sorry." As you moved on you thought back; you had met Froggets before, why had that surprised you? You look up from your thoughts to see Frisk exiting a room to your left, holding a piece of candy out to you.
"Where did you get that?" you ask, taking the candy.
"There was a bowl in that other room. It said "take one" so I got one for you too."
"You took two?"
"Yeah.."
"But it said "take one"?"
"Well, it's not for me."
"I know, I'm joking."
"Ok." Well that was completely unnecessary to the story you think to yourself. Wait.. what?