Chapter 20

"Violet?" Iceslide padded through the snow around the twoleg nest, looking around the snowy bushes and bricks hopefully. "Violet!"

Several days had passed since he'd went with Sunripple to meet Dreamwhisper. He knew it was unlikely that he'd find her outside. Kittypets hated the snow and cold. But he hadn't seen her since the morning he'd taken Bone Shred and his rogues to the forest, and he couldn't stop thinking about her. He gave the ground a sniff, but couldn't pick up her scent. Stupid snow.

He looked up along the wall of the nest and saw a strange clear wall, like a frozen sheet of ice. He remembered that Juicy once called it a "window". If Violet was inside the nest, maybe he could see her from it. 

It's not too high... Iceslide studied it. Not much different from a fence in a way. There was a stone ledge just below the window where he could sit, but it wasn't very wide. He wasn't sure it he could fit all four paws on it.

Well, I have to try if I want a chance of seeing Violet. Iceslide crouched, his chest and belly fur brushing against the cold snow. When he'd judged the distance as best he could, he sprang. He made it, but didn't have enough room to land properly. 

He let out an "Oof!" as his face slammed into the window, and he nearly fell off the ledge, but quickly stumbled and regained his balance. He had to keep one paw directly in front of the other in order to fit on the ledge. With a huff of relief, he looked through the window.

He'd seen the inside of a twoleg nest before. It was very strange. He saw two couches, a strange cone shaped object that seemed to have a sun inside it, and a wooden table that Iceslide imagined was once a tree. He continued scanning the room.

Violet!

She was curled up asleep in a strange looking purple thing that looked like a stone, but it was soft. Iceslide decided it was some sort of cushion like the ones he'd seen Juicy and Princess using before. For a moment he admired her beautiful tortoiseshell pelt, unsure if he should wake her. I didn't come all this way for nothing. She'll be happy to see me. 

He took a last check around the room. He didn't see any twolegs. Maybe they weren't home. He lifted a paw and scratched at the window, surprised at how smooth and strange it felt on his claws. It's like ice, but different...

She didn't move, so he scratched again. Her head raised sharply from the cushion, her blue eyes wide as she looked around. Her eyes reached his and lit up, and she quickly hurried over and jumped up on the inside of the windowsill to face him. 

"Iceslide!" She exclaimed, her mew muffled by the glass between them. "What are you doing here?"

He purred loudly. "To see you, of course." He wished that he could break through this dumb window and nuzzle her, but just being face to face with her was enough to make him happy. "I've missed you so much!"

Violet's eyes glistened. "I missed you too." She raised her paw and placed it against the glass, and Iceslide placed his in the same place. If only the window wasn't between them, their paws could touch.

"I wish I knew how to open the window and let you in," Violet said sympathetically. "You must be freezing out there."

Iceslide purred in amusement. "I live outside. I'm used to it, remember?"

She rolled her eyes. "Crazy clan cat." They laughed, and after a moment she grew serious. "How are we going to make this work? Especially through the winter?"

He tensed. Is she having doubts about our relationship? "I'll visit as much as I can," He promised. "It'll be more difficult through leaf-bare, but once new-leaf arrives we can be together all the time. It'll be great!"