Chapter 19

A moon passed, and even more snow covered the ground. It was more difficult for the cats to trudge through the thick snow, as it was halfway up their legs. For cats with shorter legs and apprentices, the snow brushed against their stomach.

"It's freezing!" Arcticpaw shivered as he pushed through the snow. "I hope there's less snow at fourtrees."

His mentor, Ravenfeather, flicked him on the shoulder with his tail. "With any luck, there will be with all the cats walking about it."

When they reached the fourtrees clearing, they found that they were the last clan to arrive. The others were all present, and Iceslide sensed the tension in the clearing immediately. Nearly every cat was speaking quietly to one another anxiously. Even the leaders were deep in discussion, and judging by the looks on their faces, it wasn't casual discussion. It was something serious.

"At last, RiverClan!" Whitestar exclaimed from the great rock, and the other leaders turned as Shimmerstar joined them.

Iceslide spotted Firetail and padded over to him. "What's going-"

"Shh, they're starting!" Firetail stared up at the leaders. 

Whitestar raised her voice. "Cats of all clans, I think we all have the same news to share this moon. SkyClan has had its patrols attacked twice now."

As the cats below began murmuring anxiously, Birchstar spoke over them. "ThunderClan too. Our cats were attacked during a training session, and two apprentices were wounded."

Shimmerstar's eyes widened. "One of our patrols was attacked a quarter moon ago," She meowed.

"You too?" Stormstar stared at the RiverClan leader. "ShadowClan has been attacked as well. One of our youngest warriors, Cliffshade, was out hunting alone when he was ambushed. He nearly died."

"WindClan has been seeing more of these rogues too," Gladestar put in, looking uneasy. "It seems they aren't just passing rogues. They're threatening us."

Iceslide's pelt prickled with unease. More of them? Where could they be coming from? 

Ravenfeather spoke up from among the RiverClan cats. "We should find their home and give them a fight they won't forget!"

"Don't be mouse-brained!" A WindClan warrior, Bouldercrash, hissed at him. "We don't even know where they live."

"Enough!" Stormstar snapped, and the cats fell silent. "This is a serious matter, but until we learn more about these rogues, I don't see how we can get rid of them. For now, I suggest each clan increase their patrols."

"And don't send apprentices out alone," Birchstar added, flicking his tail. "Send two or three others with them."

The other leaders nodded agreement, and then each leader began sharing other news about their clan. But Iceslide wasn't interested, and most others weren't either, murmuring to one another about the rogues.

He saw Baconstripe and padded over to him. "What do you think?" He asked quietly.

The reddish warrior shook his head. "I have no idea. Rogues usually don't give us trouble like this."

"Where did they come from?" Ashcloud put in beside him. "There aren't many rogues around here."

Baconstripe frowned. "I guess cats travel. Perhaps they'll leave when they realize how many of us there are."

"And that brings the gathering to an end." Birchstar's voice rose from the great rock, and Iceslide looked up as the ThunderClan leader prepared to jump down.

Gladestar raised her tail. "Wait." The tom paused, and she went on. "I suggest that if any of us have serious trouble with the rogues or learn useful information, we send a messenger to tell each of the other clans."