Chapter Six

I took the next week off cause I knew that well, I'd be unusable at work. It's better to have lovesickness than being sick without love, this became my mantra, but the wise phrases like this never seem to help whenever you are in this position. I haven't seen Adri for days, and it slowly drove me crazy. I held a staring competition with my phone, waiting for her call, but I didn't have to courage to call her first. What if she took it as a move on her? If she had the same feelings as me, she sure would've liked if I made the first move, but that wasn't the case.

She wasn't my first hopeless straight crush, but she was my first hopeless straight love. The One with capital O. A love strong enough that some people never even experience it in their life. I did everything I could to get over her, but neither of my usually failsafe methods seemed to work.

I can only imagine how long it would've taken to heal, or when I would've dared to contact Adri first, but fortunately, it will stay a mystery forever. A few days before the weekend Adri sent an email that I read so many times, I would've been able to quote word by word. It wasn't very long or anything, but it meant everything to me. She and her fiancé finally decided their wedding day, and she wanted to know if I'd be her maid of honor. And not just that. She asked if I'd help her organize the wedding, as her fiancé rarely had time to help her with that. I knew that well I'm gonna torture myself with instead of letting her go, being around her a lot, but I was still the happiest woman on the Earth at the moment.

It wasn't even a question it wouldn't be the easiest to help her, because I lived in Fehérvár then, and she was going to marry in Budapest, but it didn't matter. I r a chance to be a part of her life permanently, and that drop-kicked common sense out of my brain in a second.

At the weekend I traveled to the capital, so we could start to make preparations. And there came a difficulty I didn't take into consideration when I agreed to Adri's terms. As much as I wanted to help her both out of selfishness to be around her, and out of kindness to make her happy, I wasn't the best girl for the task. I've never been the girly type, more like a textbook case of a tomboy. Except for the boyish look thing, because I never went for that. I knew three kinds of clothing styles: metal chick, comfy casual, and casual metal chick. Clothes that made me look great, but in the meantime would've passed as medieval torture devices have never been my field of expertise. To make things worse, I've never been into many other stuff my girl friends loved so much either. Ever since I was little girl, I rather went to play football with the boys, than play dolls with other girls, rather practiced fixing my bike than learning how to do makeup, and rather watched some stupid action flick than a tragic romance. So saying I wasn't exactly up to the task is the understatement of the century, but I did my best.

On that weekend I got to know Laci - Adri's fiancé - a little better than before, and for some inexplicable reason, I started to dislike him. Okay, inexplicable is a little bold claim. He was your oh-so-typical alpha male - a type I always hated - who had the heart of the woman I was helplessly in love with. Naturally, I didn't show any signs of this distaste. Adri loved him, and they had been together for years, so I really wasn't in a position to say anything bad about him for her. Even if I had not been in love with her, I earned no right yet to make comments about him.

They chose a date for their wedding in March, so after Christmas passed, we had to plan everything in a super short notice. Laci was completely absent for most of the times, so we were left alone with Adri to find a place that was available on their wedding date, taste cakes, order flowers, and - yes, my favorite one, sue me - finding a proper wedding dress. It was hard to keep my cool when Adri was running around in the wedding dress saloons in front of me wearing only that sexy underwear of hers. I did my best in giving her advice, but in my opinion, she looked gorgeous in most of the dresses, even those she found herself too fat in. She had a tastefully chubby shape with only as much plus kilos that look great, but it was impossible to convince her about it. Needless to say, it made her a rather difficult customer, so finding the proper dress took two weekends, and visiting all the wedding dress shops in the Budapest agglomeration at least twice. Not that I minded it.