Chapter Four

The next day I didn't dare to look at Adri, and what made it even worse, she clearly did everything to avoid me. Both during the morning preparations, and the breakfast, but the most obvious thing was when for the indoor classes, she got herself a new seat, the furthest possible corner from me. That was the point where even the most oblivious members of our platoon began to realize something was wrong. Fortunately all she told them was we had an argument. At least she kept my secret, but honestly, being a full-on outcast wouldn't have been any worse at the moment. I was so down, I'd have rather cried all day long, even though I swear I'm anything but the weeping type. I acquiesced that Adri was never gonna be mine, long before I came out to her, but being hated by her was too much.

I should never have told her!

The day was passing in a painfully slow manner. Despite that Fridays were the shortest training days, this was longer than any other we spent with 16 hours of combat training in the harshest possible conditions. Every other time it was Adri's presence that helped me through the worst moments of the boot camp, now it was the very reason for my pain. Any other times I hated to say goodbye to her, now I longed to get far away from her.

When leaving time finally arrived, everybody was saying their goodbyes, only Adri and I avoided each other. In any other time, we had waited for the other to finish and chitchatted while strolling to the parking lot, now, on the other, she left our room first in such a hurry, I didn't even realize when she disappeared.

To help you understand how huge the problem was, I didn't even attempt to conceal how down I felt. I was robotically stuffing my things into my bag, while the room around me slowly emptied.

"Finally a day without hearing your voice," Kati mocked me on her way out of the door.

"Fuck you, stupid bitch," I answered in monotone.

"Oh, how original," she said before leaving the room.

At any other time, I would've been embarrassed for losing verbally against Kati, but now? I kept packing my bag completely lost in my thoughts.

"You told her, didn't you?" Petra asked while she jumped on my bed.

"Huh?" I startled. I had no idea I wasn't alone in the room. Honestly, I wouldn't even have been able to tell when Kati left the room. Was it a minute ago? Five?

"I mean that you love her," Petra added, as I was clearly disoriented.

"What?"

"Relax, now it's just the two of us," she gestured toward the door. "So, did you tell her?"

"To whom... what... what's wrong with you?"

"Come on, girly! You know what I'm talking about! You and Adri."

"Oh, that. We had a fight, that's it," I said while I returned to the packing.

"Sure you both acted so awkward the whole day because of a simple fight"

"We had a bad fight," I amended my previous statement, clearly not been bothered by the suggestions she made.

With an irritated sigh, she got up and grabbed my shoulders so I would face at her.

"Look at me, girly!"

She towered over me by about five inches, even though I wasn't used to not being the tallest girl in a room.

"With a looks like mine, you really think I wouldn't recognize a lesbian?" asked Petra.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Leave me alone!"