0.

The Last Time
Prologue

The last time I saw my father when I was ten. It was late at night and I was supposed to be sleeping, but I couldn't fall asleep. It was too stormy, I could hear the wind and rain hammering at my windows. I tossed and turned but no luck.

I decided to go to my twin brother's room as I always did when I couldn't sleep. I silently tiptoed across the wooden boards when I heard a door slam. I froze.

Then the yelling started.

"Where have you been? Out with that slut again?!" my mum screamed. Dad looked at her in shock.

I didn't move, I couldn't move, I just stood there looking down upon the unfolding scene before me from the stair banister.

"That's right. I know. I know about her!" she yelled, she was crying hysterically now. I felt numb, this couldn't be real, it just couldn't.

"Emily, I can explain..." he started, but was stopped as mum slapped him across the face.

"Explain! You want to explain why you've ruined my life, not just mine but our children's life!"

"I'm sorry."

"Is that all you have to say. Sorry!?"

"Look I still love you and always will, but I found someone, someone who is my other half."

Tears started coming down my cheeks silently. I felt someone putting their arm around me. I looked up to see Xavier, who seemed to have been woken by the noise.

"You mean your mate." She stated suddenly. Dad looked at her pitiful.

"I'm sorry." he said again.

"You promised me you would never leave me, even if you found your. I trusted you. I went against my family even though they warned me! Because I loved you!" she said angrily, still crying.

"Emily please let me explain - " dad tried again.

"No, no! Just Leave, leave my house and never come back. Go!' she said coldly.

Dad turned towards the door, his eyes full of sorrow. I couldn't take it anymore, I left Xavier's arms and ran down the stairs before he could stop me.

"Daddy!" I screamed as I raced down the stairs. He turned around and catches me in his arms. "Don't leave daddy. I need you." I sobbed through the tears.

"I'm sorry my little cupcake, I really am," he said stroking my hair "I will always love you."

"Go Luke and never come back. Leave my children and me alone." Mum said coldly again as she came up from behind me. All signs of her tears gone. Dad nodded defeated and let go of me. Mum grabbed me in her arms.

"No, no no, don't leave me daddy, NO!!" I screamed trying to get a grip of his arms again but Mum was to strong. As Dad went out the door. He didn't look back, not once.

I stood there on the door stop crying, crying for my dad. A dad who would never return.

*

Seven months later Mum had a son, Jasper Lucas. She changed our names to her maiden name Venator.

She became a completely different person. She didn't eat much, she didn't talk much either and she didn't do anything, not even looking after Jasper. I did that. I was basically his mother, the one who raised him.

A year after Dad left, she committed suicide. I had found her that morning, in her bed. A smile on her face, she looked as if she had finally found the peace she had wanted. She left us a letter saying that she couldn't take it anymore, that she loved him too much to live without him. She asked Xavier and I to look after Jasper, never to leave him and to love him as she could not. She said she loved us and always will, but obviously not enough to stay alive.

The last real conversation Xavier and I had with her was the night Dad left. She told us about his kind. Werewolves. She told us about mates, a werewolves "other half". She also told us that her family have been hunting werewolves for over 300 years, trying to wipe them out but they breed like rabbits. That they were an abomination to this world, extremely good looking and charming and she had fallen for one of their tricks. She warned us not to be foolish and make the same mistakes as she had. Telling us to train and to always remain alert.

My sorrow turned to anger.

I was no longer a daddy's girl.

I vowed that one day I would have my revenge.

Photo: Elena Venator