16

I can't believe my twenty day vacation is over. It still feels like a dream.

"Read the next letter." Chris says, bringing my luggage inside.

The girls are already inside, checking in. Chris will be heading back to Iceland and my friends and I to Orlando. They'll be staying a while.

We finish checking in, going through the x-rays and scanners and head to Mc Donald's to wait.

I get the next letter out and read while Carla and Chris order our food.

Dear Heather,
We calculated and hopefully we calculated right. You'll be heading home today. As we write this, we know you've had fun and please know that we've had fun with you. You really are our favorite cousin and you are one amazing and outstanding young woman! We hope to see you soon and even if Chris is an amazing guy, guard your heart all the same!

For this surprise, you must leave
you must set off on a plane to see
something or someone you hold most dear
to make more memories with this year

- your favorite cousins

P.S. that poem doesn't help much but we can't spoil anything. enjoy!

I'm confused now and reread the letter. I sigh and keep it in my bag looking up as the food comes.

"God, thank You for this day, for the safe travels of us all and for the blessings You've given. You are so very good. Bless this food that it will nourish our bodies. Bless the hands that prepared this food. Amen." Carla prays.

"Amen." We say. We eat our food, careful of the time.

Once three o' clock strikes, we get up to leave.

The girls offer to throw away the trash and I feel the who's-going-to-say-it-first feeling between Chris and I.

I catch him looking and face him. "So I guess this is goodbye."

He nods slowly. "Until next time, milady."

He does a little bow and I laugh softly.

"Thank you for everything. Really. It's been amazing." I say softly, knowing words can't really give all he did for me justice.

"I'm always here for you, okay?" He says, taking a step closer. He's hesitant but his arms are wide open and I'm engulfed in his hug.

His hug is warm and homey, strong. I feel so safe, I don't want to let go.

I feel his chin resting on top of my head and it's only when I hear the girls come back that he slowly lets go.

"I'll see you soon." He says, a sad smile on his face.

"Don't give me false hope." I scold lightly.

H shrugs and gets his backpack. "God bless you all. Take care okay?"

He looks at each of us and waves goodbye as he heads to his gate.

We look after him and once he's out of view, the girls raise an eyebrow and look at me.

"What?" I ask, shouldering my sling bag.

I carry Belle and she's well behaved as usual.

"You miss him already." Carla teases.

I smile but stay silent.

"Oh, I can't wait for Heather to finally settle down." Lara says, raising an eyebrow.