Chapter 8

----------------------

April 2nd, X317

----------------------

His breathing increased as his heart rate picked up, running across the forest while dodging many obstacles in his way. He glanced back, spotting a silhouette of a huge figure chasing him before increasing his pace to outrun the beast.

His running came to an abrupt stop as he looked at the two paths in font of him, each path leading to an unfamiliar place. The loud stomping behind him alerted him of his stalker, and his eyes desperately searched for a hiding spot before he gets spotted. Finding a big oak tree to his right, he quickly scaled up the tree before ducking his head away from sight. He held his breath as he heard the stomping get closer and closer to his hiding place. He moved a few branches and leaves in front of him to view the beast trying to get him.

"NATSU!"

The boy hid further among the branches, barricading himself from the red dragon that bellowed his name with rage, making birds that were residing in trees flee at the terrifying loud noise. The boy giggled quietly to himself as he watched the dragon search for him over and under various places. Suddenly, the dragon's ear perked up as he turned sharply to the big oak tree opposite him. The boy widen his eyes and slapped his mouth shut with his hands, realizing his mistake, hoping that the dragon would shrug off the noise as an animal roaming around in the woods.

Unfortunately for him, the dragon does no such thing. Instead it walks towards his hide out with slow, cautious steps. The boy started to silently panic as the dragon approached him closer and closer until he could see its big yellow eye and black pupil with red scales decorating it's body and face. He stood frozen in his spot from the tree, aware that if he made even the tiniest of noises he would be caught. So he sat still, very still, waiting for the dragon to move on to look for him in another spot where he knows he won't be.

After what seemed like an eternity for the boy, the red dragon sighed before moving away from the big oak tree. Natsu sighed and slumped over with relief as he watched the dragon stomp further into the forest, shouting his name. He pumped his fist in the air as he silently celebrated his victory.

His victory was short-lived however, when the same huge figure hovered above him with it's red scaled wings flapping to keep itself afloat. Natsu inwardly kicked himself as he smiled innocently at the dragon who narrowed his eyes on the boy. The boy shrunk in the intense gaze of the dragon, dragging his little foot across the tree branch with his head looking at the leaves below him. He let out a yelp, startling the dragon, as something struck his big toe. Tears gathered in his eyes as the pain was unbearable for his little body to take. The dragon sighed before lowing his head for Natsu to climb on him, who did so reluctantly. Once he made sure that Natsu was comfortable on him, the dragon set off towards his home, where his wife waited impatiently for both of them to return.

As the red dragon landed safely with the child on his back, his wife stood outside their home ready to lecture both of them when she noticed the tears that were gathered in the child's eye. Sending a glare to her husband, she took the child from him gently and brought him inside to examine the source of his tears and pain. Calming the little boy down, she lay him down on his bed.

"Where does it hurt Natsu?"

Natsu pointed at his big toe on his right foot, wincing when Igneel poked it. Grandeeney shot her husband a dirty look, who flinched in response and offered an apologetic smile. Ignoring her idiotic husband, Grandeeney gently lifted his right foot and examined his big toe carefully. The door cracked open as a little girl with dark blue hair poked her head inside to see what all the commotion was about. Gasping when she saw Natsu lying on the bed in pain, she ran to her mother's side, who smiled at her briefly. She grabbed hold of Natsu's hand, who flashed her a grin and ruffled her hair when he saw her.

"Is Natsu-nii going to be okay?"

"Yes Wendy, it's just a few splinters that's all. I'll go get the tweezers."

Wendy watched her mother go out of the door, before turning to her older brother. Though they know they are not blood related, they always thought of each other as siblings. The two year old girl hugged her brother, who hugged her back in response. When she pulled away, she smacked her brother on his arm, and he playfully rubbed the spot where she hit, pretending it hurt.

"Are you crazy? What were you thinking?"

Natsu grinned sheepishly at his sister who crossed her arms to her chest with a pout, showing how unamused she is right now. He scratched the back of his head while glancing at Igneel for help. Igneel just shrugged as if to say 'It's your problem, not mine.' Grumbling unhappily, Natsu turned to face his sister, who had her bottom lip out in a pout. Thankfully, Natsu was saved as Grandeeney came in the room again with a pair of tweezers in her hand.

"Now hold still Natsu, this might hurt."

Natsu immediately regretted climbing up a tree and getting splinters from it as a result. Wendy watched concerned as her brother looked in pain but did not scream, as he did not want to upset Wendy. Igneel shook his head as he watched his wife struggle in keeping him still as possible.

Going outside for some fresh air, Igneel sighed and looked up at the sky, his thoughts drifting to Nazra and his wife. If only they could see their son now, they would be so proud of him, of the things he accomplished in just two years. His gaze shifted to the woods, where the trees swayed with the wind. If only he could find their other son, wherever he may be, and rescue him.

Word Count: 1056