The two cats turned away, and he followed them into the old nest. It was very dark, and most cats were asleep on old couches, shelves, and under tables. A few raised their heads at the newcomer.

"Iceslide," Bone Shred's voice rumbled, and he saw the black tom sitting in the shadows near the wall, looking at him through the dark sockets of the skull he wore. "That's not all for us, is it?"

He dipped his head and dropped the prey on the wooden floor, shaking frost from his fur. "Yes, of course." He meowed as the tom stepped forward and sniffed the squirrel. "I'm sorry I couldn't catch more."

"Mama, look, look!" 

Iceslide turned to see the three kits racing over to him, their eyes filled with delight. Their mother raised her head drowsily from where she slept under a table.

"He kept his promise!" The dark tabby kit exclaimed, his little tail high in the air as he sniffed the mouse eagerly. "Look at that mouse!"

"Wow!" The she-cat squeaked and took the mouse by its tail.

"Scrappy, Sunny, Skipper!" Their mother called softly. "Don't be rude. It might not be for you."

The three kits paused and looked up at Iceslide and Bone Shred. Sunny didn't let go of the mouse's tail, her yellow eyes filled with hope and hunger.

"It's all yours," Iceslide purred and nudged it toward the kits with his paw. The three kits immediately took the mouse and ran back to their mother with it. "Make sure you share!" He called after them in amusement.

Some other cats were moving closer, studying the prey hesitantly. Iceslide noticed the sick scrawny elder he'd seen the day before. He looked even worse, wheezing and shivering. Feeling a rush of sympathy, Iceslide picked up the squirrel and padded over to him.

The old tom drifted his gaze to him and sniffled, not raising his head from his paws. "Hmm?"

"Have this." Iceslide dropped the squirrel and nudged it toward him. "It'll make you feel better."

The elderly tabby gave the squirrel a brief sniff, then shook his head. "Prey won't do me no good now," He rasped. "Give it to a younger cat."

He was startled. "But you're sick and starv-"

"No." Bone Shred appeared at his side and reached out, pulling the squirrel away from the elder. The tabby watched it for a moment, then closed his eyes. "He's right, he's not going to make it through the winter."

Iceslide hesitated, looking at the elder sympathetically. "But there's still time..."

"Prey is to be used on the cats who are young and strong," Bone Shred meowed firmly. "There is no point in feeding a cat who's just going to die anyway. Let him be, he won't last much longer." He stepped forward and rested his paw on the elder's scrawny flank. "Rest now. Your suffering will end soon."

The elder let out a raspy sigh. Iceslide stared at him sadly. I suppose it makes sense... But it's still very sad. He reluctantly turned away from the dying cat.

Bone Shred had brought the squirrel over to two toms. One was a Siamese cat, the other a silver cat with cuts on his face. "Oil Tail, Glass Face, here." He gave them the squirrel, and the two began eating. 

Iceslide spotted two cats sitting in a corner and picked up a mouse, padding over to them. A dark gray tom was sitting close to a yellow tabby and white she-cat. Both were terribly thin, but young. The tom eyed him warily as he approached.

He dropped the mouse and purred a greeting. "Hello. Would you like to share this?"

"Yes." The tom replied almost immediately, and Iceslide realized how hungry he must be. He looked embarrassed and licked his chest. "Yes, of course. Thank you."